PDA

View Full Version : Can't Boot

schlomo
06-16-2007, 06:30 PM
my knoppix live cd works on all of my desktop computers in my house perfectly but for some reason i can't get it to boot on my laptop, it starts to boot and stops at "looking for cd in: /hda/hdc/" something like that it stops right after it fings all the usb/firewire devices. dose anyone know what i can do to get it to boot?

Harry Kuhman
06-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Even though it boots on other systems there is a small chance that the combination of the CD and the drive don't work together, particularly if the CD was burnt at high speed. But it's more likely that you need one or more cheat codes at boot time. See the cheat codes section of the wiki and, better yet, the cheat codes document that came with your BitTorrent download, but some codes to try are knoppix nodma and knoppix noscsi acpi=off .

ginocumbe
07-03-2007, 07:01 PM
My Knoppix CD won't boot on my desktop computer (AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ 1.8GHz 512MB memory). I tried almost all of the cheat codes but it still wont boot. At times i get a blank screen other times i get a kernal panic. Need help please!!!!!

Harry Kuhman
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Did you confirm the md5 checksum of the iso before burning? Did you burn at low speed? Did you read the downloading faq?

ginocumbe
07-06-2007, 03:52 AM
yea i did all of that. The CD works on every other computer i tried it on. I was wondering if my problem had to do with my hard drive being SATA. what do you think?

schlomo
07-06-2007, 04:28 AM
instead of knoppix i actually got backtrack 2 to work and i can do all of the things i wanted to do with knoppix...it also took less time to download...please don't hunt me down for mentioning something other than knoppix haha...but it dose work

Harry Kuhman
07-06-2007, 04:59 AM
..... I was wondering if my problem had to do with my hard drive being SATA. what do you think?
Don't need a hard disk at all to run Knoppix, so I doubt that is the problem.

...The CD works on every other computer i tried it on......
I have no idea if this is your problem or not, but I frequently hear that from people who burnt at high speed, only to find the disk works later when they do a low speed burn or use a CDRW.

Harry Kuhman
07-06-2007, 05:03 AM
instead of knoppix i actually got backtrack 2 to work and i can do all of the things i wanted to do with knoppix...it also took less time to download...please don't hunt me down for mentioning something other than knoppix haha...but it dose work
No objection to mentioning other Live distros here. I've used backtrack2 myself and find it interesting. And it will certainly deal with my wireless hardware better than Knoppix. But if you can get Backtrack to work then I would think you should be able to get Knoppix to at least boot. Consider that you may have had a bad burn or bad media, reburn at low speed and if you have a 700 meg CDRW available try that.

schlomo
07-07-2007, 04:01 AM
yeah i just used an el cheapo cd r ...ill try a higher quality rw thanks for the advice