PDA

View Full Version : Networking between my freinds laptop and his pc

kaleotter
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, my freinds Laptop has finally stopped booting windows. He wanted to know if his Stuff was recoverable, so i came over and booted Knoppix Live cd 5.0. All his stuff is safe, but i cant get it oevr to his pc without spending hours moving usb dongles over and resetting the pc (because when i pul the flash drive out and put it back in, i cant write to it until i reset the laptop. some help there would be nice (is a linux n00b). so i was wondering how to set up the wireless network so I can simplify the process of moving his stuff to a safe place so i can recover the system without risking it.

Anyway, the laptop is an ACER Travelmate 4150 and the PC is a homebuilt system running windows xp. any links to tutorials and advice would be appreciated.

Forgot to mention. Its windows XP Home with SP2 on my freinds pc

Harry Kuhman
06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
...so i was wondering how to set up the wireless network so I can simplify....
My experience with wireless netwirking under Knoppix is very bad, and more so with the 5.x versions. Your results may be different, but if Knoppix doesn't detect the wireless nic then I strongly suggest plugging the system in wired to the router/access point and I expect you'll find that Knoppix is then on the network just fine and gets it's settings automagically by DHCP. As to transfering files between the 2 local computers, sometimes geting local networking working is extremely easy, sometimes it seems to fight you. If you can't quickly network between the Knoppix and Windows box then I suggest starting an FTP server on the Windows box and using Konquror in Knoppix as an FTP client and transfering files that way. You'll also find that FTP transfers are a lot faster than using Microsoft networking.