PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix live cd and SpeedTouch USB

battouta
05-28-2003, 01:57 PM
hello,
I managed to have a ADSL connection with my SpeedTouch Usb modem using Knoppix Live cd V3.2-2003-05-20
Details :
http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html

ktheking
06-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?

Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options

On livecd usage this is in read only ?

battouta
06-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Already a good tip. Tnx for sharing the info.
But seems to me this is only for harddisk installed knoppix ?

Code:
Next, create/modify files /etc/ppp/peers/adsl /etc/ppp/chap-secrets /etc/ppp/options

no, it is really for live cd.
I have tested and these files are writable in the live cd, and are even saved in your persistent home.

peterbridget
07-25-2003, 02:36 AM
Hello,
I followed the instructions for setting up my bellsouth Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL modem but to no avail. ( http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html ).

Each time I create and edit the required files and copy the microcode etc., on rebooting Knoppix the files are gone. I have not installed Knoppix on HDD and do not intend to for the time being. Perhaps this is necessary.

I am still fairly new with Linux, but have enjoyed Mandrake Linux so far and I am trying out Knoppix for the obvious benefits that it brings. It also looks great. Please let me know if I am missing out a step. I have looked on Google, but ended up back in this forum.

Thank you for your assitance. Tux Rules! :D

Peter G

battouta
08-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Each time I create and edit the required files and copy the microcode etc., on rebooting Knoppix the files are gone

as said on the page these files will be saved if you create a permanent home on a usb key, a floppy or a little file on your hard drive; and save your settings in it (K Menu / KNOPPIX / Configure)
Hope this helps

peterbridget
08-21-2003, 04:02 AM
Thank you for the reply. I was confused because the advice given seemed to contradict reason and practicality, ie., that a permanent home with live CD Knoppix was NOT needed, but I misconstrued the information.

Anyway, I really appreciate your helpfulness (another significant reason why open source is so great), and will have a crack at setting things up with a permanent home for the USB ADSL stingray!

Cheers!
Peter G.

Tux rules!
:D

Nelix
08-23-2003, 09:30 PM
when i tpe the 'tar zxvf speedtouch-1.2-beta1.tar.gz' i get the following error

tar (child): speedtouch-1.2-beta.tar.gz: cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

And i dont seem to be able to download the required file properly, if someone could email them to me i would appreciate it

Thanks

Derek

P.S. I am totally new to Linux and Knoppix so no tech babble :oops: please :oops:

battouta
08-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi
the message means you have not the file "speedtouch-1.2-beta1.tar.gz" in your home.
Maybe you have downloaded the new version of the driver 1.2-beta2, so I suggest you to type tar zxvf speedtouch-1 ... and use the TAB to auto-complete the command.

Manuel
08-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Hi!
I can find the Alcatel's microcode mgmt.o
:(

Please, help me!

battouta
09-01-2003, 10:16 PM
3 possibilities :

1- you download the driver from the official site, decompress and use the file mgmt.o you find in it

2- you can use file called alcaudsl.sys you can get on a windows system, and you rename it in mgmt.o

3- you can use the file firmware.bin you can find on http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/files/firmware.bin
and you rename it in mgmt.o
:lol:

Manuel
09-01-2003, 10:42 PM
3 possibilities :

1- you download the driver from the official site, decompress and use the file mgmt.o you find in it

2- you can use file called alcaudsl.sys you can get on a windows system, and you rename it in mgmt.o

3- you can use the file firmware.bin you can find on http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/files/firmware.bin
and you rename it in mgmt.o
:lol:

thanks...I've download firmware.bin and renamed it.
Now I try...ehm...little OT: were I can find the instruction
to save the knoppix configuration (i.e modem setup and keyboard) on
the HD?

Thanks,

Manuel

battouta
09-01-2003, 10:53 PM
K Menu / KNOPPIX / Configure :?:

Manuel
09-02-2003, 12:23 AM
K Menu / KNOPPIX / Configure :?:

Thanks...I'm really newbie :oops:

ehm...(I hope this is the last semi-OT): now I must edit the option
files in ppp folder, but I'm not root, ad I not have the privileges. How I can boot knoppix as root ??

thanks again, and escuse me for poor english and little OT...

Stephen
09-02-2003, 02:58 AM
ehm...(I hope this is the last semi-OT): now I must edit the option
files in ppp folder, but I'm not root, ad I not have the privileges. How I can boot knoppix as root ??

thanks again, and escuse me for poor english and little OT...

Use sudo in front of any command to have root permissions i.e sudo vi some_file.txt would open some_file.txt with the vi editor as root.

Manuel
09-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks, I will try tonight...
:D