PDA

View Full Version : [b]Help for creating dual boot windows and Knoppix[/b]

deepak_abc
06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi,

What I am looking for:- Procedure to create a dual boot of Windows and Knoppix from a single hard disk. How to come out of the mess that I seem to have created. I have explained below what I tried.

I am trying to create dual boot of Windows and Knoppix on a 40 gb drive. The steps I did are:-
1. Boot from Windows cd. Create 30 GB windows partition. Install Windows in the first partition.
2. Boot from Knoppix cd. Install Knoppix in the remaining 10gb space. I created two partitions. 9 gb for Knoppix and 1 gb swap. I wrote the mbr in the linux partition.

The partitions created:-
First partition Windows 30 GB
Second Linux 9 GB
Third Swap 1 gb

The problem:- I can't boot from the hard disk. I am not able to boot from either linux or Windows. When I boot from Windows, it starts to boot and then stops. Then I made Linux partition active and tried to boot linux. The screen gives 4 4 4 for half a screen .. and then hangs.
I read a post that a data only fat 32 partition will be required if I need a dual boot with a boot menu. So I was trying to delete the Linux and swap partitions and recreaate 3 partitions. Linux, FAT 32 data partition , swap partition.

But I cant delete the already created partitions. I get the error message partitions mounted.