PDA

View Full Version : DVD-booting problems: stuck on "searching for dvd on dr

WolffEin
06-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Greetings.

I've just downloaded Knoppix 5.1, and it just doesn't seem to boot well. It detects my hw all right up to the part where it starts to look for the DVD on my drive (/dev/hdd). It is very odd, because it should know that the dvd is in there, right?

Could it have to do (in some unforeseeable way) with the fact that it gets in conflict with my monitor (samsung 732N+). My monitor keeps saying it is "not optimum mode: 1280x1024 60Hz", and after a while, image disappears, and only comes back if I turn it on and off, and just for a little while. And it happens only on knoppix boot, on fedora or Windows it works just right, so it can't be cable, as the manual said.

Can somebody help? :(

Harry Kuhman
06-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I can comfortably say that the problem with the monitor is not related to the problem with the DVD.

For the monitor, see the cheat codes section of the wiki and the cheat codes text file that comes with a BitTorrent download. Look for codes that force the resolution and scan rate that you want.

For the DVD: is this a low speed burn? (no more than 4x)? Do you trust the quality of the media? Are the drive optics clean? If so try the nodma cheat code during boot (seems unlikely to be needed for a DVD however). And, of course, I'm assuming that you verified the md5 sum of the iso file, if not before burning at least before posting.