PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix & windows apps

Kevin Cannon
01-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Hey,

I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is possible and if so, what's the best way to go about doing it?

I'm just toying with the idea of creating a Knoppix CDROM which mounts /home onto a zip drive (for all my data) or I can just save it either.

But would it also be possible to remove some knoppix apps and put on some windows one somewhere.

I'll explain what i'm trying to do.

The PCs in my college are decent enough, but they have a really bad install so I was thinking I could just run along and load knoppix all the time and save my data on the zip drives. I need a lot of multimedia apps, photoshop, cinema 4d flash etc... so I could either run them from the HD that's already on the computer or bundle them with the knoppix CD.

Any thoughts if this is possible?

Thanks,

- Kevin

eadz
01-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Hi there,
For mounting /home/ on a zip, check out knx_persistant_home. ( linked to in the news forum )

And yes, you could remaster, and take of some big programs, and then you could put windows programs on the non-knoppix part of the cd. But you would have to install them on the windows machine, as I don't think you'd be able to run it from cd.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-05-2003, 03:59 AM
I do this in my school for my students. However, I only need linux apps and saving to a floppy data disk is sufficient for their needs.

You'd only be able to run apps with wine this way. Make sure that they work with wine first!

Regards,

Tigren
01-05-2003, 08:23 AM
well, good luck running PS in wine in linux. u are better off running GIMP. and u wont be able to run them off the cd i dont think