PDA

View Full Version : Samsung R40

Baldlygo
06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi – I have become keen on Knoppix since running it very successfully on my old Dell Inspiron 8000, however, since this only has 256K RAM (max 512K) and is still running Win ME I’ve just gone out and bought a Samsung R40. Sadly I discover now it is not on the Knoppix list of laptops.

It seems to boot ok and pick up the essentials but after a minute or two it slows down and then freezes altogether – as if it has run out of memory.

I’ve tried Kubuntu and that seems to work better and does not freeze. I’ve now installed Kubuntu on my hard drive and so far it works fine – wireless and Ethernet. But I would much prefer Knoppix as my regular reserve system.

The fact that it works well with Kubuntu leads me to think it should not take much to make it work with Knoppix. Am I right or completely wrong?

Thanks for reading - Baldlygo

ckamin
07-01-2007, 10:16 PM
You may have chipsets or hardware that is not well supported in the current version of Knoppix. You can wait for a newer version to be released and see if that works or you can do as you have already done, find another distro that is more compatible with your hardware. I have had several issues with some of the newer Intel compatible chipsets using Knoppix and several other Linux distros. I'm hoping that they will be supported beter in upcoming versions.

Baldlygo
07-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the reply - Seems I will have to keep my old Dell to use Knoppix for the time being.

I have since also found problems with kubuntu on the Samsung - no sound at all! Much prefer knoppix anyway so I'll have to keep waiting. :(