PDA

View Full Version : how can i convert .rpm into .deb

tat
07-07-2007, 12:32 AM
hi
i installed knoppix 5.1 on hd successfuly by using vmwareworkstaion 5
but i could not install vwware tools
it is avialable in .rpm and tar.gz format but i read that debian does not accept .rpm
my question now is
how can i convert .rpm into .deb to install vm tools
please iwant a detailed answer :oops: because iam under 0 in linux :lol:

JohnnyH
07-07-2007, 11:07 AM
i installed knoppix 5.1 on hd successfuly by using vmwareworkstaion 5 ...
Not sure what you mean by this, but anyway ...

...my question now is how can i convert .rpm into .deb to install vm tools ...
You need the alien package which, if I remember, is already in Knoppix 5.1 (otherwise apt-get install alien). Then

alien <whatever-is-name-of-vmtools>.rpm
will generate a .deb package for you.
.rpm packages are not always good at telling you what are their dependencies at the time of installation -you may well have to look out for 'missing something.so file' messages at run time.
Sometimes all you might need is to create a symbolic link e.g. something.so to an already installed package file like something.so.0.0.1
If the package is not already there at all, you need to go to http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/packages
and enter the required file in the package contents search box. This will tell you which package you need to apt-get install
Possibly you might still need to create a symbolic link.

tat
07-07-2007, 12:45 PM
ok.
i will try and teel you
thanks

tat
07-07-2007, 01:21 PM
thank you v.much it worked well
but still i have messege telling me that vmware tools is not installed
how can i make sure that vmware is installed on my computer

JohnnyH
07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, we need a lot more information than you have given us.
Step 1 : - please describe exactly, in what way is Knoppix 5.1 'installed' on your computer ?
e..g. Debian mode. Beginner mode or what ?
Step 2 onwards: -depends on answer to Step 1 ;)

tat
07-07-2007, 03:12 PM
ok
i installed knoppix 5.1 on a virtual machine (vmware workstation 5.5.3) on xp
the mode i remember was beginner : multi user system with hw detetion
the system workes fine but the vmware tools are not installed so i can not drop and drag files from xp to linux and i can not share files and folders
i did as you told me and install vmware tools on linux (after converting them from .rpm into .deb ) but i still have a messege that vmware are not install
i want a way how can i make sure that tools are installed on the linux because may be the problem is in the virtual machaine itself since the knoppix version is 2007 and the virtual machaine is 2006

JohnnyH
07-07-2007, 04:07 PM
OK, I've never used this setup myself, so I'm guessing, but might it be that you need to install the vmware tools into the host XP system, not the Knoppix ?