PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX WONT BOOT, FREEZES WHILE LOOKING FOR CD IN cd DRIVE

asdfanofpriest
07-07-2007, 03:38 AM
hello all, my WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER crashed this morning...... and i refuse to reinstall OS, until i get some DATA off the Hard disk.......

i saw this and decided to give it a try, and i downloaded the ISO, burnt to a CDRW with Nero 6.... and verified the data

Knoppix starts when the computer starts, and the splash screen asking me press enter to load Linux... so i do.....

VERSION - KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN

heres what it says -

Welcome to the KNOPPIX Live GNU/LINUX on CD!

Running Linux Kernel 2.6.19.
Total Memory alvaliable: 969524KB, Memory Free: 957272KB
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices....done
allowing slow USB-devices some more time to register..... OK..
ENABLING DMA acceleration for :hdc [HP DVD WRITER 740b]
ENABLING DMA acceleration for: hdd [DVD RW DRU-820A]
Looking For CD in : /dev/hdc _

thats when it ends..... the prgram doesnt go any further,
it just freezes up there after a little while
i burnt the ISO to a CDRW @ 4x
the program just wont work, and i really need it to recover some files

can anyone please help me to get the program running to save the files??? :roll:

thanks!

COMPUTER INFO -

CPU - Intel PENTIUM 4 2.8Ghz
OS - Window XP media center 2005
RAM - 1GB
Hard Drive Capacity - 200GB

Harry Kuhman
07-07-2007, 04:30 AM
1) Please see answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

2) Please don't post the same issue in multiple forums. If everyone with a problem posted it in multiple forums the forums would become pointlessly cluttered. Your duplicate post has ben removed.

asdfanofpriest
07-07-2007, 04:38 AM
1) Please see answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

2) Please don't post the same issue in multiple forums. If everyone with a problem posted it in multiple forums the forums would become pointlessly cluttered. Your duplicate post has ben removed.

sorry, wasnt sure which forum it went in........ so could you recommend something for me to search for ??? i kinda dont have a idea what to search for, which was why i posted here; hoping someone would just reply here.

Harry Kuhman
07-07-2007, 05:08 AM
I will not suggest anything until you edit that subject line.

asdfanofpriest
07-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I will not suggest anything until you edit that subject line.

how about now?

Harry Kuhman
07-07-2007, 06:06 PM
OK, thanks. I'll make a couple of suggestions, although I don't know what is going wrong here:

There is a small chance that you are having optical drive problems because of DMA issues. I would have expected that this hardware would support DMA on the optical drive just fine, but you can try typing knoppix nodma at the boot prompt and see if that helps.

You have enough memory that you could load all of Knoppix into memory. I don't know if that will bypass the error or not, since it obviously has to read the disc to do this, but since the boot is starting OK, it might. Try typing knoppix toram at the boot prompt.

asdfanofpriest
07-07-2007, 06:23 PM
OK, thanks. I'll make a couple of suggestions, although I don't know what is going wrong here:

There is a small chance that you are having optical drive problems because of DMA issues. I would have expected that this hardware would support DMA on the optical drive just fine, but you can try typing knoppix nodma at the boot prompt and see if that helps.

You have enough memory that you could load all of Knoppix into memory. I don't know if that will bypass the error or not, since it obviously has to read the disc to do this, but since the boot is starting OK, it might. Try typing knoppix toram at the boot prompt.

thanks for suggesting :D

actually i got it to work, ive always seemed to have problems with the drive i was using, so i tried the other frive, and it worked great, started and everything, and my files are still here!!(using the same computer, that crahsed right now)... so i am going to copy them to a USB stick and re-install windows..............

thnaks again for your help and time! :roll: :lol: 8)

asdfanofpriest
07-07-2007, 06:24 PM

actually i am running it from memory now, i worked without it, but im going to burn the files to DVD's too, so i need the drive.....