PDA

View Full Version : Creating persistant knoppix disc image with floppy disc

Arbatras
07-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm trying to create a persistant Knoppix disc image but I cannot put it on the my hard drive and I don't have a flash drive I can use for this. Is there any way that I can put it on a floppy disc?

ndb
07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Arbatras wrote:

I'm trying to create a persistant Knoppix disc image ... on the my hard drive ... Is there any way that I can put it on a floppy disc?

You didn't mention what sort of partition your HD is; if it's NTFS, then you're out of luck; if it's a FAT partition, then I believe you can create a persistent image on your HD. First, you would have to change your HD to read/write; by default your hard drive is READ only.

Failing that, you can save a configuration file, config.tbz, to a floppy. This isn't the same as a persistent home directory (you won't be able to install new software, and of course you'll be severely limited in space. I found that I really needed a persistent home dir to copy over my Firefoxz bookmarks and passwords, and install new software. With a diskette, you can add a printer, and copy the Firefox bookmarks (assuming you use Firefox on Windows).

Let us know more about your situation, re partition, etc.

Arbatras
07-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Never mind what I said earlier. I was able to do what I needed with a floppy disk. Thanks for your help anyway.