PDA

View Full Version : media errors?

Albretch
07-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi,
~
I am constantly getting errors which appear to either be media or CD-ROM hardware errors. The thing is that I get them way too often. So, often that, if it happen that often to other people knoppix couldn't have become the success that it has been
~
I constantly change PCs, locations, CD-ROM brands, etc and I am still getting the same errors
~
// - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
md5sum: KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX: Input/output error
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 45 listed files could not be read
everything looks OK
// - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~
KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX tends to be almost always the one giving Input/output errors
~
Also, how could every "look" OK, if there are Input/output errors?
~
Do you encounter these errors often?
~
lbrtchx

Albretch
07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Also I have tried all possible recording speeds with different burning software (k3b, nero, ...)
~
lbrtchx

cbagger01
07-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Also I have tried all possible recording speeds with different burning software (k3b, nero, ...)
~
lbrtchx

Try VERBATIM brand CD-R disks.

Also, try burning the disk on a friend's computer/burner.

FUJI CD-R disks packages that have a "MADE IN JAPAN" label printed on the package are also good.

ckamin
07-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Just a longshot, but sometimes certain hardware does not work well with DMA enabled or disabled. If you burn the disk with such hardware under the wrong conditions, you may encounter these errors. You can enable/disable DMA acceleration with a cheatcode during boot up or set the DMA for individual devices once you have booted into Knoppix. Some hardware is also calibrated improperly for certain types of media. A firmware update may be the fix, or sometimes new hardware is the solution.