PDA

View Full Version : Problem with unwritable USB key persistent home directory

rpg
07-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I followed the directions in Knowing Knoppix to create a persistent home directory on a USB key, but am now unable to make it work. It seems my USB key is being mounted read-only (as /media/sdb1), so that when I tell knoppix home=/dev/sdb1/knoppix.img, the knoppix.img seems to be mounted read-only, which makes it not work as a persistent home directory. Is there some way to fix this? A kernel argument? Or is there something I need to do to get the USB key mounted as R/W?

When I click on the device icon in kde, it shows as owner: rw, group: r and others: r, with no execute permissions

But the *device* is marked as read only. Is there anything I can do about this? I can set it to R/W after boot, of course, but that seems to be too late.

When I look at the output of mount, I see a unionfs that has /ramdisk and /KNOPPIX in it, but nothing about my knoppix.img.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
R

P.S. My title was wrong, btw. The problem isn't that the persistent home directory (persistent hd) is not readable, the problem is that it's not writable making it, well, not persistent. :cry: