PDA

View Full Version : Password problem

Steve W
07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I am aware that Knoppix 5.1.1 Live DVD does not have a "root password" as this is locked by default, and that "What's the root password?" is one of the most common questions you must get on these forums. However, I am trying to load up 5.1.1 into the Gnome desktop, and whenever I try to do anything like getting online, or editing preferences, in Gnome it asks for a password. Pressing "Enter" on its own doesn't do it. I have looked on the internet already and tried one solution suggested - going into the Shell and typing "passwd" to try and specify a password - but all that does is ask for the original password, which of course I don't have!

It seems that at least the Gnome desktop in 5.1.1 requires a password - so I am forced to ask the question: "What is the root password for Knoppix 5.1.1?"

JohnnyH
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
... I have looked on the internet already and tried one solution suggested - going into the Shell and typing "passwd" to try and specify a password - but all that does is ask for the original password, which of course I don't have! ...

Which Shell did you use ? - as you are running from the Live DVD then use the Root Shell offered by the Knoppix menu (not the normal KDE Kicker menu), enter
passwd root and make up your own password as prompted.

Steve W
07-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go.

Steve

Steve W
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
This has worked and I can now specify a new password. However, a new problem has arisen: I need to connect to the internet using the Modem Dialler facility, but when I enter the properties for this (the number to dial, login details etc), I cannot connect to the internet as the device is not recognised. Under the window for this, it only gives me two ethernet connections and an ISDN hookup - no modem dialup.

I am aware that when I use Knoppix under KDE, I have to tell Knoppix to use S0 for dev/modem, as well as setting up the dialling and account details. Is there an equivalent under Gnome, and if so, where is it?

Thanks for any help you can give. I do prefer the Gnome desktop to KDE - but it looks like it doesn't prefer me!

Steve Wylie