PDA

View Full Version : Copy files from old hdd to new raid0 dynamic disk

manuels
07-24-2007, 03:10 AM
Hello folks,
I've just bought two WD 250Gb SATAII and I put them to run as raid0 on my pc (running windows xp).
The array works fine, I formated it as one huge 450mb partition, and I was able to write and read files from it.
What I wanna do is copy exactly everything that's on the old SATA disk to the new raid0 dynamic disk.
I allready tryed Western Digital Lifeguard tool, and I was able to copy (almost) everything (just not a few files, wich the program said aren't essential for windows to run), but when I started windows from the new drive, I got a black screen written "Disk boot error. Please insert system disk and press enter". When I do this, it starts the windows on the old hdd. I tryed using some commands like fixboot or fixmbr on the xp install cd recovery tool, but nothing worked.
So I formatted the dynamic disk again, and I wanna try using knoppix to copy the files.
First thing, is this possible? If needed, I have the nvidia raid drivers on a floppy disk.
If yes, how to do it? I've read something about ddrescue, but I never worked with linux, so I'm kind of lost. The last thing I wanna do is loose the data on my old hdd!
Could someone please help me?
Thanks!

Harry Kuhman
07-24-2007, 03:45 AM
When RAID is implimented in software, with drivers only available to Windows, then Knoppix can't read from or write to the RAID system. Linux does have RAID support of it's own, but there is no reason to expect that it will be compatable with a Windows system (particularly if the Windows RAID is NTFS).