PDA

View Full Version : Changing screen resolution after booting from HDD ver 5.0

deepak_abc
07-24-2007, 07:24 AM
I can not change the screen resolution after I boot from HDD. When I try to change the resolution it does not give me any other options apart from 800 x 600. I wanted to chage it to 1024x 768. Will I have to download the driver ?

JohnnyH
07-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Log on to a console (i.e. not KDE) as root, then enter the command :
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
which will give you a dialogue to configure your X system. This should offer you a choice of drivers; if you are lucky there may be one for your graphics system, already installed and available to replace the generic driver that was probably installed by the hd installer.
Then log out of the Console; after a few moments the KDM login screen should reappear.

deepak_abc
07-26-2007, 07:13 AM
I ran the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command and it asked me for the model of my VGA card. From Knoppix I wasnt able to find this out so I booted Windows and found that it is an Intel card.

Agian I ran [/b]dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg [b] command but it doesnt given Intel as one of the companies to select so I gave generic VGA as the choice. But it hasnt worked . When I try to set the screen resolution I get only one choice and not many, indicating that the driver is not located. My VGA card is in built on the motherboard incidentally.

deepak_abc
07-27-2007, 06:18 PM
I found the Linux driver of the card on the net. But this was for Red hat Linux and it is not in packaged format. There is an install.sh script in it. When I run the script., the install log file gives me the following output.

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17/build SUBDIRS=/home/deepak/Desktop/Desktop/dripkg/agpgart-2.0 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
make -f Makefile.linux DRM_MODULES=gdg.ko modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/deepak/Desktop/Desktop/dripkg/drm'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17/build SUBDIRS=`pwd` DRMSRCDIR=`pwd` modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/deepak/Desktop/Desktop/dripkg/drm'

When I run the install script, the errors on the screen are as folows:-
I verified that the /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts directory does not exist and that is what the error below says.
I have to modify the script with Knoppix kernel paths and try to run it now.

DIRECT RENDERING OPEN SOURCE PROJECT - DRIVER INSTALLATION SCRIPT

[ http://dri.sourceforge.net ]

================================================== ========================
The script will now compile the agpgart module and DRM kernel modules
for your machine.

Press ENTER to continue or CTRL-C to exit.

Compiling new agpgart module...Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory.
Makefile:486: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile'. Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2

ERROR: AGPGART module did not compile

Compiling DRM module...Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory
Makefile:486: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17/arch/i386/Makefile'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make: *** [gdg.ko] Error 2

ERROR: Kernel modules did not compile

The DRI drivers can not be installed without the latest kernel modules.
Installation will be aborted. See the dri.log file for information on
what went wrong.

JohnnyH
07-28-2007, 02:38 PM
It looks as if you don't have the kernel header files installed, which I would expect if you installed 5.0 from a CD ; only the 5.0 DVD has these files. Unfortunately, they are not in a package in the 5.0 DVD, so if you get the DVD you would have to identify the files and copy them across to the HDD.
I no longer have 5.0 on my system so I can't remember all the details; you can identify what is needed from your script messages like :-

Compiling DRM module...Makefile:266: /usr/src/linux-2.6.17/scripts/Kbuild.include: No such file or directory

deepak_abc
07-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Unfortunately, they are not in a package in the 5.0 DVD, so if you get the DVD you would have to identify the files and copy them across to the HDD.

I feel that the install.sh script is for Redhat Linux and the file structure like whrere the kernel modules are kept etc. in Redhat and Debian will not match. So the install.sh needs to be modified which will reflect correct path names and file names as applicable to Debian. I can post the contents of the install.sh script if required.

As for searching the files on DVD as suggeested by JonnyH, I do not have the DVD version and hence could not try it out.[/b]

JohnnyH
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
I feel that the install.sh script is for Redhat Linux and the file structure like whrere the kernel modules are kept etc. in Redhat and Debian will not match. So the install.sh needs to be modified which will reflect correct path names and file names as applicable to Debian. ...As for searching the files on DVD as suggeested by JonnyH, I do not have the DVD version and hence could not try it out. ...
Yes, this may well be the case - I didn't mention it at first because the first step, if you want to get anywhere, has to be to get the header files.
But then, if the Red Hat script fails, you would be better off if you can find a non-distro-specific tarball for the driver on the net.
Have you tried Knoppix 5.1.1 ? that *might* have the driver already - and if you get the DVD version you will have the headers for 5.1.1 if you need them.