PDA

View Full Version : apt-get problems

Bummibaer
07-29-2007, 05:30 PM
How can one deal with the apt-get problems?
Is there a standard way?
I have to upgrade 390 packages,
and I solved diverse problemes by myself.
But there are to many.
Examples:
vim/vim-gtk Bug with
/usr/share/man/ru.KOI8-R/man1/ex.1.gz.dpkg-tmp
I've found as a bug, but it was'nt resolved.
I created the dir, and it worked.

But now apt-get upgrade breaks after the first packet
artwiz-cursor,
which is also mentioned in the bug-database, but
without solution.

How can I jump over such packets ?

It is crazy, everytime to search after errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steffen

1 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 353 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen noch 0B von 9208B Archiven geholt werden.
Nach dem Auspacken werden 0B Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Möchten Sie fortfahren [J/n]?
Lese Changelogs... Fertig
(Lese Datenbank ... 478111 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereiten zum Ersetzen von artwiz-cursor 1:1.3-5 (durch .../artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3-6_all.deb) ...
dpkg-divert: »diversion of /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz to /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz-artwiz by artwiz-cursor« kollidiert mit »diversion of /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz to /usr/share/doc/artwiz-cursor/cursor.pcf.gz-artwiz by artwiz-cursor«
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von /var/cache/apt/archives/artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3-6_all.deb (--unpack):
Unterprozess pre-installation script gab den Fehlerwert 2 zurück
warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc does not exist or is not a directory
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
/var/cache/apt/archives/artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3-6_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Harry Kuhman
07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I believe this problem is caused by Knoppix being a mix of different Debian distros. It is one of several reasons why many of us recommend not installing Knoppix and it is well known to be a problem. I suggest installing you choice of Debian distros instead of Knoppix to avoid this problem.

BillS
07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
boot 5.1.1 2007-01
>su
#knx2hd
#init 6
- remove cd - reboot
at KDM select 'console login'
now on a tty - login as root
#apt-get update
#apt-get upgrade
error during processing
artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3_6_all.deb
subprocess /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)
#

So, because of the interlocking of all these packages, we can't upgrade a clean install.
It seems this should be a release test for Knoppix. Or maybe every so often to do regression testing.

What releases/locations should be taken out of the apt-get sources list, maybe?

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Tha last reply was useless... simple Regression test fails..
What part of Knoppix is intended as a Live CD and really not suitable for hard disk install don't you understand?

BillS
07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
"What part of Knoppix is intended as a Live CD and really not suitable for hard disk install don't you understand?"

knx2hd

As the moderator, this must be the official Knoppix position?

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2007, 04:10 PM
"What part of Knoppix is intended as a Live CD and really not suitable for hard disk install don't you understand?"

knx2hd

I'm not just a moderator, I'm a user and a participating member of these forums. If I hadn't been I wouldn't have been made a moderator. When I became a moderator I was never told to stop giving out advice or given a list of the official beliefs.

I tried to make things pretty clear in my first post in this thread, when I said many of us recommend not installing Knoppix and used other wording to make it clear that there were some people who thought installing was OK and others who disagreed with this. This is even posted in a forum area dedicated to hard disk install; which might imply that it was an option with Knoppix (although I like to think of it as the place to send the people who insist on installing so they don't clutter the rest of the forums with repeats of these questions over and over again).

I have been around long enough to see that problems like this reoccur frequently, and to catch Klaus' discusion before the release of 5.0.1 that he was considering just removing the install scripts because the problems with installing persist year after year. Sadly, that didn't happen.

It seemed like we had a user who was experiencing many of the normal install problems. They apparently hadn't read enough of the other posts or the wiki documentation to know this is an on-going problem. I took a minute to try to explain why it was happening and offer a much better alternative; one that would get a proper Linux system installed to hard disk without these problems that any or all of the Knopix packages could then be installed to with apt-get. You joined in with It seems this should be a release test for Knoppix and even added a subject line saying Tha last reply was useless... But I don't think the response was useless. It tried to explain to Bummibaer why this was happening, that it often happens to many users rather than just him, and offer an alternative. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but it was hardly useless.

Knoppix is hardly perfect. There have always been bugs that show up after release for as long as I've known it back in version 3.1. And I'm certainly not happy about some of the wireless issues that have been in all of the 5.x versions. But Knoppix is a Live CD. Someone threw together some scripts to let those who insist on installing it to hard disk to try to do so and Klaus agreed to include them on the disc. But to suggest that some test should be applied to be sure this works would change the fundamental nature of the Live CD, and would have prevented the last 4+ years of Knoppix releases.

Your first post made it clear that you understood about the package issue (there are other problems with installing the Live disc but this is a major one), Yet you come across to me as someone trying to hammer nails with a monkey wrench. And when you see a discussion between two other people, one also trying to do that and one explaining why it's a bad idea and suggesting a different tool, you join in that conversation saying the response was useless. You obviously intend to keep trying to pound nails with the monkey wrench. Perhaps because it is the first tool that you picked up. Perhaps because it's big and heavy and it seems to you like it would pound nails well. No, before you ask, that's not an official Knoppix analogy, just one offered by a regular here who has seen this problem for years and who tried a tool intended for hard disk.

trench
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
How can one deal with the apt-get problems?
Is there a standard way?
I have to upgrade 390 packages,
and I solved diverse problemes by myself.
But there are to many.
Examples:
vim/vim-gtk Bug with
/usr/share/man/ru.KOI8-R/man1/ex.1.gz.dpkg-tmp
I've found as a bug, but it was'nt resolved.
I created the dir, and it worked.

But now apt-get upgrade breaks after the first packet
artwiz-cursor,
which is also mentioned in the bug-database, but
without solution.

How can I jump over such packets ?

It is crazy, everytime to search after errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steffen

1 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 353 nicht aktualisiert.
Es müssen noch 0B von 9208B Archiven geholt werden.
Nach dem Auspacken werden 0B Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
Möchten Sie fortfahren [J/n]?
Lese Changelogs... Fertig
(Lese Datenbank ... 478111 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereiten zum Ersetzen von artwiz-cursor 1:1.3-5 (durch .../artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3-6_all.deb) ...
dpkg-divert: »diversion of /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz to /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz-artwiz by artwiz-cursor« kollidiert mit »diversion of /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz to /usr/share/doc/artwiz-cursor/cursor.pcf.gz-artwiz by artwiz-cursor«
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von /var/cache/apt/archives/artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3-6_all.deb (--unpack):
Unterprozess pre-installation script gab den Fehlerwert 2 zurück
warning: /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc does not exist or is not a directory
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
/var/cache/apt/archives/artwiz-cursor_1%3a1.3-6_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Read this http://www.debianadmin.com/replace-binaries-and-files-with-dpkg-divert.html
I did this dpkg-divert --package artwiz-cursor --rename --remove /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/cursor.pcf.gz and it worked for me

trench
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM

knx2hd

I'm not just a moderator, I'm a user and a participating member of these forums. If I hadn't been I wouldn't have been made a moderator. When I became a moderator I was never told to stop giving out advice or given a list of the official beliefs.

I tried to make things pretty clear in my first post in this thread, when I said many of us recommend not installing Knoppix and used other wording to make it clear that there were some people who thought installing was OK and others who disagreed with this. This is even posted in a forum area dedicated to hard disk install; which might imply that it was an option with Knoppix (although I like to think of it as the place to send the people who insist on installing so they don't clutter the rest of the forums with repeats of these questions over and over again).

I have been around long enough to see that problems like this reoccur frequently, and to catch Klaus' discusion before the release of 5.0.1 that he was considering just removing the install scripts because the problems with installing persist year after year. Sadly, that didn't happen.

It seemed like we had a user who was experiencing many of the normal install problems. They apparently hadn't read enough of the other posts or the wiki documentation to know this is an on-going problem. I took a minute to try to explain why it was happening and offer a much better alternative; one that would get a proper Linux system installed to hard disk without these problems that any or all of the Knopix packages could then be installed to with apt-get. You joined in with It seems this should be a release test for Knoppix and even added a subject line saying Tha last reply was useless... But I don't think the response was useless. It tried to explain to Bummibaer why this was happening, that it often happens to many users rather than just him, and offer an alternative. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but it was hardly useless.

Knoppix is hardly perfect. There have always been bugs that show up after release for as long as I've known it back in version 3.1. And I'm certainly not happy about some of the wireless issues that have been in all of the 5.x versions. But Knoppix is a Live CD. Someone threw together some scripts to let those who insist on installing it to hard disk to try to do so and Klaus agreed to include them on the disc. But to suggest that some test should be applied to be sure this works would change the fundamental nature of the Live CD, and would have prevented the last 4+ years of Knoppix releases.

Your first post made it clear that you understood about the package issue (there are other problems with installing the Live disc but this is a major one), Yet you come across to me as someone trying to hammer nails with a monkey wrench. And when you see a discussion between two other people, one also trying to do that and one explaining why it's a bad idea and suggesting a different tool, you join in that conversation saying the response was useless. You obviously intend to keep trying to pound nails with the monkey wrench. Perhaps because it is the first tool that you picked up. Perhaps because it's big and heavy and it seems to you like it would pound nails well. No, before you ask, that's not an official Knoppix analogy, just one offered by a regular here who has seen this problem for years and who tried a tool intended for hard disk.

Well it's more fun to fix something and to start form scratch if you ask me. I have used the knoppix to hd 10 times now and i normally have to play arround to get the system i want to alot anyway so.

My sources.list is always messy and i play with it alot before i get the version i want.