PDA

View Full Version : kwifi vs kwlan: how to?

frank ross2
08-04-2007, 04:49 AM
I've used Knoppix 4 for a year and its been a joy to network: I click on kwifi and instantly I'm on the network with a handy graph for connection strength. I recently installed Knoppix 5.11 to the HD and after the first hour I'm afraid: "the network is unreachable". Kwlan reports "unable to configure wlan interface using iwconfig". I've been messing around with the command line to no avail. When I pop in Knoppix 4 I'm back on the network in seconds. What am I missing?

thank you
frank ross

chip.ling
08-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I've used Knoppix 4 for a year and its been a joy to network: I click on kwifi and instantly I'm on the network with a handy graph for connection strength. I recently installed Knoppix 5.11 to the HD and after the first hour I'm afraid: "the network is unreachable". Kwlan reports "unable to configure wlan interface using iwconfig". I've been messing around with the command line to no avail. When I pop in Knoppix 4 I'm back on the network in seconds. What am I missing?

thank you
frank ross

Don't know why it is not working on 5.1.1 while it was working on 4. Need to have answer those developers from the Knoppix developement team.

However, you can check out the 3 FAQs I wrote on the Network FAQ section and use that as a temp solution.

Rgds,
Chip

frank ross2
08-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Chip. I gave it another hour without success. Then I made the "Linux" sensible decision and installed PCLinuxOS over the Windows partition and reinstalled Knoppix 4 on the other partition.

I think your step by step tutorial on networking is excellent; perfect for noobs. It's great to see someone take the time to write good FAQ responses.

Thank you
frank