PDA

View Full Version : Booting from USB

s1pacrat
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a USB key that has Knoppix on it and can boot on any computer that supports booting from USB.

Howver, I would like to use it on an old computer that doesn't support booting from USB...

Is there anything I can do? Slax seems to have a CD you can create that will boot from USB for you... does Knoppix have something like this?

Harry Kuhman
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Slax seems to have a CD you can create that will boot from USB for you...
I don't know the answer, but your post raises some questions:
1 If the Slax CD really boots a USB flash device rather than just loading stuff from the CD and then pretending that it booted the USB drive, why not just use that to boot your Knoppix UBS device? If you can't use it then I submit it's not really booting the USB device.

2 If you're going to start the boot from a CD, why not just boot from CD? Go ahead and use the USB for configuration and storage, but use the CD for what it is. That will free up more of the USB device.

s1pacrat
08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I think I will go with the second idea, but

1) The Slax thing does not work, I tried it

2) I already had a USB key but the CD I will have to download over a very limited internet connection.

Thank you.

hat_monkey
08-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a USB key that has Knoppix on it and can boot on any computer that supports booting from USB.

However, I would like to use it on an old computer that doesn't support booting from USB...

Is there anything I can do? Slax seems to have a CD you can create that will boot from USB for you... does Knoppix have something like this

put in the normal knoppix 5.1.1 CD and also the knoppix USB key, boot from CD as usual with cheat code :

knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1

and it will see your USB at sda1 (where it most likely is) and boot it there instead of the knoppix on CD.

try also using sdb1 instead of sda1 in the above if using sda1 fails.