PDA

View Full Version : installing mindless automation

Zerro
08-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi

I'm trying to install mindless, while running the latest knoppix off cd. I'm used to just apt-getting whatever I need, but mindless isn't in debian. I'm pretty lost without apt-get.

-I downloaded what I think is the right file
-I decompressed it
-moved to the new directory
-typed "make"

Make put out a very long error. I don't know if this is the problem but it said something about gtk+-2.0 not being found in the path.

-Am I going about this all wrong?
-is this gtk business the problem?
-is there something I can apt-get to straighten out this gtk business?
-basically just how do you install mindless?

JohnnyH
08-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Going to the Debian packages site
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
and putting
gtk+-2.0
in the Package Contents Search Box will tell you that you will get this in package
libgtk2.0-dev
So
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
then try make again.
Repeat the procedure if necessary for any other files subsequently requested by make ;)

Zerro
08-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply.

but when I try to apt-get libgtk2.0-dev:

-some packages could not be installed
-since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that the package is simply not installable
-the following packages have unmet dependencies
-E: Broken packages

Am I right in thinking this is because my knoppix disk (5.1.1) has fallen behind the debian archive and I'm basically boned until the next knoppix release which could be months away?

JohnnyH
08-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Oops :oops: yes, I forgot to advise you to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
Because Debian releases have moved on since Knoppix 5.1.1 came out, the meanings of stable testing unstable and so on have shifted.
I find that Knoppix 5.1.1 successfully installs or upgrades packages from what is now the 'stable' (designated 'etch') repository.
So it's safest to comment-out all URL statements for testing, unstable and experimental.
I also like to edit 'stable' to 'etch' , which is clearer and more future-proof for when Debian goes up to the next full release number.
Then do apt-get update again.
Ensure that there are no 'aborted' configuration files on the system by
dpkg --purge libgtk2.0-dev
and re-try
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
Good luck :)

Zerro
08-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the help. The last thing went off without a hitch; libgtk2.0-dev is installed and output from make is a lot more friendly. There is only one error and it created a bunch of .o files.

The Mindless User's Guide said to copy the executable "mindless" to a directory in my path, so I typed "echo $PATH" to find a directory. Then I copied "mindless.o" to /bin/. I tried both clicking on it and entering "mindless" or "mindless.o" from the prompt, nothing happened. Is this right and failing because of the error or am I doing it all wrong?

This is make's error:
failed to load "ICONS/lifeset.svg": Couldn't recognize the image file format for file 'ICONS/lifeset.svg'
make: *** [_images.c] Error 1

-is this something I have to deal with or can it be safely ignored?
-Is this something else my system is missing? That debian search had hundreds of results for 'svg'

Thanks for your patients.

JohnnyH
08-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm afraid I don't know anything about mindless itself, but the make error seems to imply that the installation instructions may be omitting to tell you about some needed configuration in the host system. I hope that you can get a better informed answer from somebody else.

A good place to put mindless is /usr/bin/mindless which should already be in your path. Check that it is executable (it should have been generated as such).
Then try running mindless (or /usr/bin/mindless) in a User console so that you can see any error messages if e.g. the icon image problem were a show-stopper (it may not be).

Zerro
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your help, I found a workaround here (http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1440479&forum_id=50372), everything works and it seems I'm in the clear.