PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix with no login screen

ken39
08-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

I have got a PC in the office which always boot knoppix without a login screen.
When I check what account it is using to do "auto" login, it is using "root" account.
How can I enable the login screen?

I have heard that during the initial installation of knoppix, when you choose knoppix instead of debian,
it will resulted in your system havig a single sudo-enabled knoppix user just like live environment. Is it true?
How can I check whether my knoppix installation is using which type of installation(knoppix or debian)?
Is it possible to enable the login screen if this is the case?

Many Thanks
ken39

onemyndseye
08-13-2007, 09:10 PM
"...Is it true? .,.."

Very :)
If you dont have to login with a User name and Password then your installation is the "KNOPPIX" style.....

"...Is it possible to enable the login screen if this is the case?..."
Short answer is No.

Longer answer would involve editing /etc/rc*.d/ and removing the link for knoppix-xsession (something like that). And possibly a bunch of other ado. ... Best option is to reinstall using the Debian Option...... just make sure to save your Home Directory (/home/knoppix/) is the case that is contains data you have saved and ish to retain.

Take care,
-Justin
One Mynds Eye

Harry Kuhman
08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Good news! There's a special version of Knoppix, made just for install to hard disk! This special version avoids the apt-get update problems of disc based Knoppix as well as the many things that often work on the CD but stop working after a hard disk install. And it has all of the Knoppix software available and a much larger pool of additional software too, and you can pick what to install and what not to install, saving space. Many GUI front ends are available to pick from, not just the ones included on the normal Knoppix CD (although KDE is certainly available). Software updates are available faster than waiting for a new Knoppix CD and updates don't break everything else when installed.

And, of course, it supports all the user log-ins that you want.

This special version of Knoppix is called Debian. You can get a copy of it here (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/). I suggest getting the net-install or business card versions of the i386 version, or a 64 bit version if you have the CPU for that, and installing the rest from the Internet.

ken39
08-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi onemyndseye and Harry,

Thanks for your reply, this will clear things up for me.

1 last question, how do I check whether my knoppix installation is using knoppix style installation or debian style installation?

okie, harry, I will check out your "special version" of debian. :)

Thanks again :)