PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen trying to boot on Averatec 6200 laptop.

ptan
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I can't get Knoppix STD 0.1b to boot. I have tried all of the cheats related to the graphics card. Nothing seems to work. The screen flickers then goes black. Please help. I am trying to reset my admin password in XP. I have spent more time trying to get knoppix to work than I thought it would take to fix my problem. HELP!!

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
1) Knoppix STD is not Knoppix, it's a different system derived from Knoppix.

2) I believe the software that you are trying to use is quite old, might be too old to run on your hardware.

3) Even if you believe that the newer versions of Knoppix can safely write to NTFS (I'm not convinced yet), that old distro will not be able to safely write to NTFS, so it will not be able to make any password change.

ptan
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
As I am new to Knoppix, do you have any suggestions as to the best way to do this. My SysKey was reset accidentally and I need a way to change the admin password. I have been told to use Knoppix STD but it fails. Another suggestion was to use Knoppix 5.1. Are you suggesting that I don't use either? Or is there a better way to do this? Any help is appreciated. THX

Harry Kuhman
08-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Knoppix STD can not write to NTFS partitions, will destroy the partition if you manage to get it to try.

Some people think Knoppix can now safely write to NTFS. I'm not convinced and would not risk my data to test it. You are free to do believe whichever you wish.

If I were in your case (although I can't imagine how that could happen), I would use Knoppix to recover what files I wanted from the system in question, then do a full reinstall of Windows (assuming you still want Windows). That way Knoppix only reads the disk, does not write it, which is safe. See the Rescue FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ) for details.

While we know of Knoppix STD here, it is very old, apparently abandoned, and we really can't support it.