PDA

View Full Version : RFP: Docs "banner" on frontpage/page-header?

Henk Poley
05-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Dear webmaster(s), wouldn't it be an idea to bring some more attention to the docs section? Make the link at the top of the page red or something?

aay
05-29-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure how much more visible they can be made, but I do agree that they are not consulted enough. I know that we need to be patient with newbies, but answering questions that are plainly addresed in the docs is starting to wear me out. Perhaps there is a way to have a message displayed which asks if the poster has consulted the docs before posting his/her question. I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Veterans would probably not like to click on "yes" all the time so maybe there would be a way to disable this in one's profile. Eadz would be the one to tell us if something like this can (and should) be implemented.

eadz
05-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Well the link to the docs is the same size as the link to the forums. So if people come to the forums without reading the docs, the link size can't be blamed.

Maybe I can make a box that goes above the posting box the says

Have you read the docs? If not go read them because if your answer is in the documentation you may not get a reply here.

Or something.. ideas?

aay
05-30-2003, 03:36 AM
Have you read the docs? If not go read them because if your answer is in the documentation you may not get a reply here.

That is a perfectly good idea. Whatever message you decide to use, it ought especially to be visible when someone clicks on the "new topic" button in the forums.

You could 1.) put some text above or below the "new topic" button, or 2.) require that they click on an agreement button after clicking on the "new topic" button which says something to the effect that, "I have searched the <link>documentation</link> at knoppix.net, and to the best of my knowledge my question is not answered there. I understand that if my question is answered in the docs, I may not get a reply.", or 3.) have a message like the one above (2) inserted into the text of their post.

Just some ideas.

Adam

Henk Poley
05-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Well the link to the docs is the same size as the link to the forums. So if people come to the forums without reading the docs, the link size can't be blamed.
Can you explain???

Sorry to sound a bit hars.

eadz
05-30-2003, 06:50 AM
Hows that? ( when you reply or post is a message )

Stephen
05-30-2003, 06:53 AM
Can you explain???

Sorry to sound a bit hars.
Some people will not take the time to search for the answer even if the link to do it is right in front of them.