PDA

View Full Version : How I can boot Knoppix in console mode...

rioswill
08-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Hello Guys:
I'm new in knoppix. I have installed knoppix in my Hard Disk but, I need to install a Nvidia driver. So, I want to start knoppix without kde, no graphic mode to I can install the driver.
When knoppix run in live cd mode, is easy, I type knoppix 2, but when is installed, the grup or knoppix not permite me to do it.

I need your help and excuse me my English because I'm a Latin User.
Thanks for all.

JohnnyH
08-26-2007, 09:25 AM
At the KDE log-in screen, select Console Login.
Then log in as root and configure X driver as required.
Logout, and after a few moments the KDE log-in screen should re-appear ;)

rioswill
08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Thank you JohnnyH, but I'm don't have a KDE log-in screen. The KDE start automatically, not permite me log-in, no password is required to start KDE.
I turn on my computer, knoppix start and inmediatelly the desktop KDE appear.
Knoppix not requests me a password to log-in to KDE.
I don't know how to stop the KDE initialization.
I wait for your answer and thank you again my friend...
Bye...

JohnnyH
08-27-2007, 07:33 PM
...I turn on my computer, knoppix start and inmediatelly the desktop KDE appear.
Knoppix not requests me a password to log-in to KDE....
(Knoppix should not be like that - if you made a 'Debian' type installation (?) - and which type of Knoppix are you using ? )

OK, you can get to a console by CTRL+ALT+F1

When you have finished selecting your driver, log out and get back to KDE with CTRL+ALT+F7

You have to re-start X for the new xorg.conf file to take effect.
(You could kill X by CTRL+ALT+Backspace, then re-start, but it may be easier just to re-boot if you are not running a Server ;) )

rioswill
08-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Exactly, I try that. I press CTRL+ALT+F1 and I get a console but the X-server (KDE) is run, so when I try to install the driver I get a message from console when I run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run":
"You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing"

I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 and I install it like "like live cd", not like debian installation or beginners.
Can you tell me what kind of installation is the correct ?
I try kill the proces with "ps -e | grep KDE","ps -e | grep Xorg","ps -e | grep Xserver" and then appy "kill + Number-Process" but the I get a same error when I run the installer from console.

When I press CTRL+ALT+Backspace, the KDE environment start automatically.

May be will be necessary re-install Knoppix like Debian installation.
Thanks for you time.

cbagger01
08-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Exactly, I try that. I press CTRL+ALT+F1 and I get a console but the X-server (KDE) is run, so when I try to install the driver I get a message from console when I run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run":
"You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing"

I'm using Knoppix 5.1.1 and I install it like "like live cd", not like debian installation or beginners.
Can you tell me what kind of installation is the correct ?
I try kill the proces with "ps -e | grep KDE","ps -e | grep Xorg","ps -e | grep Xserver" and then appy "kill + Number-Process" but the I get a same error when I run the installer from console.

When I press CTRL+ALT+Backspace, the KDE environment start automatically.

May be will be necessary re-install Knoppix like Debian installation.
Thanks for you time.

From inside your console window, type:

sudo su
init 2

This should drop you down to runlevel 2 and stop the X-Server from running.

After you are done mucking about in text mode, type:

init 5

to return to graphical runlevel 5

rioswill
08-28-2007, 03:26 AM
Thank you very much to JohnnyH and cbagger01 by your help. I'm happy really because there are people like you that are available to share your knowledge.
The problem is resolved and I can get the console and kill the graphic mode to run my installer but, when I run the installer I get the follow message:

"No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel"

Now, I want to know what meaning that because I feeling very lost with that.
I wait for your answer.
Bye...

JohnnyH
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
..."No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel"...
This seems to be telling you that you need the Knoppixx custom kernel header files - yes, examination of the script in the downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run confirms this.
You need to install linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb first, which is provided with the 5.1.1 DVD (but not the CD).
Nil desperandum ! :) ... if you send me your email address via a FORUM PRIVATE MESSAGE, I can email the package to you.

JohnnyH
08-31-2007, 08:49 PM
...You need to install linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb first, which is provided with the 5.1.1 DVD (but not the CD)...
OK there's a bit more ;) I couldn't prove it with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run as this doesn't support my TNT2 card, so I used NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7185-pkg1.run which is similar.

The problem is that the NVIDIA installer is rather ".rpm - distro - centric" and does not give a helpful message for KNOPPIX systems. As the command is rather long, and it has to be run in a console, it was easiest to put it in a script which you could call e.g

NV.sh

#!/bin/bash

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.19

then it is easy to
sh NV.sh in the console :)