PDA

View Full Version : How do I boot iso file from already installed grub?

maestrobwh1
09-01-2007, 06:06 PM
My laptop doesn't boot from usb dongle (I have tried the HP tool in vain, and it does not show up in my list of bootable tiems, BUT I do have Kubuntu installed on the HD and it boots with grub so I am assuming I can use that grub entry to boot other devices but I can't get this right.

I have tried to do this so many times and I get a grub error 15 file not found. I have "linux" and minirt.gz in /boot/isolinux/ copied from the knoppix 5.1.1 CD on hda2 where my other /boot items are located to boot Kubuntu (I copied the /syslinux from /boot on the CD to /boot on /hda2 in other words). My grub entry for this currently looks like

title Knoppix
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso dma myconfig=scan
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

Part of this entry does recognize my usb dongle and the hd1,0 suggests, as it spits out that it is a FAT filesystem...

I tried just copying the /boot/isolinux directory to the usb dongle as well so it is in both places. Same error

I also tried deleting the iso file, copying the knoppix directory from the cd in its place, and changed bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso to fromhd=/dev/sda1. Same error.

I am obviously overlooking something and either entering things incorrectly, of have files in the wrong place, or have the wrong files to work with this, so if anyone is able to advise me, and correct my grub entry, that would be great.

fredvej
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Sorry, you have to copy the entire KNOPPIX directory to the harddisk. To be able to run Knoppix from the iso, you must have a running Knoppix, and you can't get that by using only the kernel and minirt.

You are better of by booting on the CD and use the cheatcode tohd=/dev/hda2 , thus copying what you need to the harddisk. It will create the directory /KNOPPIX/ in the root of the filesystem on partition hda2. The disadvantage is that the partition will be mounted read-only. You can circumvent that by booting using the cheatcode bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso , but you still need the /KNOPPIX/ directory and all to boot from.

Suppose you have /KNOPPIX/ and /boot/isolinux/ on /hda2 and the iso on sda1, you should be able to boot Knoppix with

title Knoppix
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce bootfrom=/dev/sda1/knoppix.iso dma myconfig=scan
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz

maestrobwh1
09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
This actually makes complete sense to me know and now I know why I never could get this to work.

Thanks a million!