PDA

View Full Version : Tried GNOME and it won't let go!

HatGuy
09-01-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm running Knoppix 5.1.1 and KDE. Just to see what GNOME was like, I switched to it from the Knoppix menu.

I may use GNOME again, but how do I get back to KDE?

I tried booting with desktop=kde and desktop=fluxbox and got . . . GNOME! Several times!

Thanks in advance.

HatGuy

Harry Kuhman
09-01-2007, 10:34 PM
... running Knoppix 5.1.1 ... to see what GNOME was like, I switched to it ...

I tried booting with desktop=kde and desktop=fluxbox and got . . . GNOME! Several times!
Is there something that you're failing to mention, like perhaps you "installed" Knoppix to a hard disk? I find it hard to believe that Knoppix would retain a Gnome GUI after a cold boot if it was truly run from disc.

HatGuy
09-01-2007, 11:19 PM
... running Knoppix 5.1.1 ... to see what GNOME was like,
... tried booting with desktop=kde and desktop=fluxbox and got . . . GNOME! Several times!
Is there something that you're failing to mention, like perhaps you "installed" Knoppix to a hard disk? I find it hard to believe that Knoppix would retain a Gnome GUI after a cold boot if it was truly run from disc.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I'm booting from a dvd, but I do have a persistent home directory. I have not saved the configuration since switching to GNOME.

HatGuy

Harry Kuhman
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, why not try deleting, renaming or otherwise hiding that persistant home from your installed system and then booting the DVD again? That will prove or disprove if it's related.

HatGuy
09-02-2007, 03:29 PM
...try deleting, renaming or otherwise hiding that persistant home ... That will prove or disprove if it's related.
Thanks for the suggestion; I will follow it as soon as I post this note and hope you have time to clarify some more newbie confusion.

It seems that I don't understand how the cheat codes work relative to the persistant home (knoppix.img) and saved configuration (knoppix.sh and knoppix.tbz) files. I thought at least three things that are apparently not true.

First, I thought cheat codes override whatever might be in the default knoppix setup scripts AND those three files, so I could adapt to different situations or try different settings. How do desktop settings (like those GNOME apparently set) override cheat codes? What is (are) the name(s) of the script(s) I could edit to reverse those settings? Is it possible to override settings like those GNOME's from the command line? If so, how?

Second, a higher level misunderstanding, I thought the desktop was part of the system, so its settings would be stored in knoppix.sk or knoppix.tbz. Thus, I thought, desktop settings existed only during the session they were made unless I explicitly saved my configuration. It seems that desktop settings are stored in knoppix.img as part of my persistant home, which its date stamp suggests is saved automatically. Is there a list somewhere of configurations, settings, whatever that are stored in each of the three files?

Third, I thought the Knoppix menu would be available in all desktops, but I haven't found it in GNOME. If I missed it, would you mind pointing to it? If I didn't how can I make a suggestion for that feature to be added to a future version of KNOPPIX?

Thanks again for your help.

KNOPPIX 3.4 worked straight from the "KNOPPIX Hacks" disk and I've come a long way from my first attempt to upgrade to 5.1. Someday, I hope, I'll understand what's going on well enough to help someone else.

I know from my work life how frustrating it can be to have endless newbies ask questions I/you think I've answered.

I try to remind myself that parents see their kids in time series, different every time they turn around, while I see their kids as a repeating cross section, different kids having the same problems and making the same mistakes, year after year.

HatGuy