PDA

View Full Version : Trying to transfer data

protiek
09-05-2007, 12:44 AM
I have 2 SATA hard drives, an old 200GB Maxtor and a new 500GB Seagate. I am trying to transfer all data I possibly can from the old 200GB to the new 500GB because the old 200GB is on its way out and has been causing me problems such as file / directory corrupt messages and causing XP to reboot randomly whilst reading from / writing to the drive.

I booted into Knoppix and tried to open one of the drives, initially the 200GB drive (/dev/sda1) and was presented with this error:

Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

WARNING: Dirty volume mount was forced by the 'force' mount option.

fusermount: mountpoint is not empty

fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

Failed to create FUSE mount point: No such file or directory

Retry to create FUSE mount point ...

FATAL: Module fuse not found.

fusermount: mountpoint is not empty

fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

Failed to create FUSE mount point: No such file or directory

Unmounting /dev/sds1 (H : Audio)

I thought this could be related to the fact that the hard drive is faulty and tried accessint sdb1 and got the same error. Wondering why this is, i need to remove the data from this HDD as soon as possible.

Cheers.

ckamin
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
If you are dealing with NTFS partitions, I would not recommend using ANY version of Linux to write to an NTFS partition. There is a chance that you can corrupt the data and cause the partition to become unreadable, hence losing your data.

A better solution would be a Windows PE or Bart PE disk. A Bart PE disk can be made from the Installation disk or directory for Windows. Just Google Bart PE and you will find a wealth of information and tutorials for creating the disk and customizing it, if required.