PDA

View Full Version : (SOLVED) error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko':

Fog_Watch
09-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I thought I would use Knoppix to boot my old Proliant DL380. The Knoppix (5.1.1) is able to boot an ordinary white box, but not the Proliant. The kernel loads and then very early in the hardware detection it returns the error:
insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': -
The problem is very similar to this (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113968), only I can't see how it can be a problem with the disk when it can be used to boot other computers. Any clues?

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Fog_Watch.

PS. This beast usually needs a cpqarray module loaded. I don't know if that is an issue.

Harry Kuhman
09-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I thought I would use Knoppix to boot my old Proliant DL380. The Knoppix (5.1.1) is able to boot an ordinary white box, but not the Proliant. The kernel loads and then very early in the hardware detection it returns the error:
insmod: error inserting '/cdrom/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': -
The problem is very similar to this (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113968), but I don't want to accept the advice given in that thread or the downloading faq, or post what speed I burnt the disc at (leaving others only able to guess what the problem is). I don't want to accept that there can be small differences in different optical drives that might account for this and I refuse to see how it can be a problem with the disk when it can be used to boot other computers. Even though the disc clearly boots on one system and not another. Any clues?

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Fog_Watch.

PS. This beast usually needs a cpqarray module loaded. I don't know if that is an issue.

I have no additional help to offer that you seem ready to accept.

ckamin
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Fog_Watch

You may very well have found the problem and answer, but you seem to refuse to accept the solution. Many disks that are burned at higher speeds may simply not work well in ALL optical drives. This may be the issue you encountered, especially with older hardware. Higher burn speeds seem to create some drive compatibility issues. It is encountered quite often with Audio CDs that don't play well, or at all in some CD players, but play well in others. Burning the disc at a slow speed usually resolves the compatability issue. Like it or not, it's a common problem.

Another issue could be that the drive/hardware is unable to work well with DMA acceleration or without it. The "knoppix nodma" cheatcode may help by disabling it, or "knoppix dma" to enable DMA acceleration. I'm not sure if 5.1.1 is enabled or disabled by default. You can try one or the other to see if that solves your problem.

Fog_Watch
09-07-2007, 01:38 AM
refuse to accept the solution.
I accept the possibility of writing speed being the cause of the problem. I, however, found a different solution.

"knoppix nodma"
This did not alter the error

The solution was to use KNOPPIX_V4.0.2. This booted the machine fine. A small problem was it not having lvm v2, but I get this off a floppy (after modprobe dm_mod) to solve that problem. This solution did not surprise me as a Gentoo 2007 disk does not boot the machine but a 2006 does.

Harry Kuhman and ckamin, thank you both for your replies.

Regards
Fog_Watch

Harry Kuhman
09-07-2007, 01:45 AM
The solution was to use KNOPPIX_V4.0.2. This booted the machine fine.
In many ways I find 4.02 to be superior to any of the 5.x discs. But the fact that a different disc, even a 4.02 one, does boot just reinforces the belief that the failing disc was likely made at high speed and that another one burnt at slower speed would likely boot as well. Of course, there can be other differences such as media quality, but speed of burn is the most common issue that we see here.

falken
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I experienced the same error while booting a Knoppix ISO within Virtualbox. The burning speed suggestion isn't very helpful on this issue now. :cry: Any ideas?

Thanks for any help,
falken