PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Trish
09-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Hey folks, I'm currently a university student in the Caribbean. I'm majoring in Computer Science and this semester I'm doing the course, operating systems. I have never used any other operating system besides Windows, mostly Xp. I've heard and read about open source but the concept is still unfamiliar to me. I must get familiar with UNIX and LINUX though because my OS course is programming in this os. In our lab session we load OpenSuse, wats is this exactly? another os? I am familiar with C programming though and I actully like that language. Basically I need help visualising how UNIX and LINUX are related and differ from what I have known all my life. I've been told that LINX is built on the UNIX platform, what is a platform in this sense? I've read about 'stuff' built in the UNIX platform like Ubuntu and AIX, is that right? Thanx lots

Harry Kuhman
09-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Please see answer #7 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).

JohnnyH
09-09-2007, 10:57 AM
You don't mention Knoppix as such at all, so unless you are using that as a tutorial aid which would give rise to Knoppix-related questions, you will in any case be more likely to find the information that you need by searching the Net using keywords from your posting ;)