PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix works on this hardware, Debian and others don't.

wagoner
09-09-2007, 05:46 AM
I have an older PC with a 1.3GHz AMD processor and 256MB of RAM. Knoppix LiveCD runs fine on this machine as well as a Knoppix HD install that I tried just today. Other distros, including Debian (Sarge and Etch) installs that I have done, will run for a few minutes and then the system hangs. I have 2 versions of KNoppix, 3.8 with has kernel 2.6.8 and 5.10 which has 2.6.19. Both work fine. I have tried adding noacpi to the boot options on other distros, such as Ubuntu liveCD without any luck. What is different about Knoppix?

OErjan
09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
likely uou get overheated, look for fans and such running,.
Also try the forum for the distro/s in question, they can be more help, specially the debian and ubuntu ones.

wagoner
09-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think it's overheating. All of the fans work fine. Most distros of linux don't work, neither liveCD's or hd installs, only knoppix does. Knoppix works both as a liveCD and with the hd install. Bart PE works on this PC for hours on end. If I had a windows hd install, I'm sure that would work also.

OErjan
09-09-2007, 06:33 PM
weird, as Knoppix is merely a mix of Debian flavours with some scripts for hardwaresetup.
any error messages?

wagoner
09-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Haven't gotten any error messages, the system just hangs. I did run a log file in a window once on my install of Sarge. It's a common troubleshooting technique, but I don't remember the command anymore. Didn't get anything when the system hung anyway.

OErjan
09-12-2007, 04:46 AM
hmm, have you checked the ram?
linux has no tolerance for bad ram sometimes (depending what part is damaged, the tolerance can be much better than win in some instances).
why knoppix works and not debian i have no idea, I would say that you need to configure something, could be anything from acpi to ram-handling in the kernel to wrong driver for some hardware.
and are you certain that it is no heat problem?

wagoner
09-13-2007, 02:32 AM
How would I check the RAM? Is there a way to test it? Swapping out the memory card isn't an option, as I have only one.

Harry Kuhman
09-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Boot the Knoppix disc.

At the prompt, type memtest.

Google for memtest86 for more information on this software.

maxIT
09-25-2007, 05:24 PM
I have an older PC with a 1.3GHz AMD processor and 256MB of RAM. Knoppix LiveCD runs fine on this machine as well as a Knoppix HD install that I tried just today. Other distros, including Debian (Sarge and Etch) installs that I have done, will run for a few minutes and then the system hangs. I have 2 versions of KNoppix, 3.8 with has kernel 2.6.8 and 5.10 which has 2.6.19. Both work fine. I have tried adding noacpi to the boot options on other distros, such as Ubuntu liveCD without any luck. What is different about Knoppix?

I've experienced a similar issue. This is why in my celerons 1.00Ghz I'm still running knoppix 3.4.
In my case I've noticed that isn't something distro_related but kernel_related instead.
Debian etch, most recent knoppix and other distros with 2.6 kernel hangs all.