PDA

View Full Version : Is live cd traceable

danbou
09-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Knoppix, but I wonder if using Knoppix is traceable. For example, if s.o. has access to my computer and boots from a Knoppix live CD, he can access all my (Windows XP) data on my hdd and I have no chance to trace this or to notice that s.o. accessed my data because Knoppix doesn't write anything on its own on hdd. Is this correct?

That's quite frightening for me, if I'm right...

Daniel

jaeran
09-10-2007, 12:48 AM
That's unfortunately a very real risk. It's very easy to prevent, though 99% of the population doesn't bother to have proper security. When your computer is starting up, push whatever key it is that lets you change your BIOS settings. It's probably one of the function keys like F10 or in my case the Del key. I don't know the layout in your computer, but just navigate around in there until you see something about Boot Security or something that mentions adding a password. Like I said, I can't give you specifics because I don't know your comp's layout, but if you change the boot order so that the hard drive always boots first, then you add a password to the BIOS, no one will be able to use Knoppix on it without knowing your password. They could still theoretically steal your hard drive and use it in a different machine, but you would almost certainly notice if someone stole your hard drive for any length of time. The adding of a Setup password also prevents anyone from using the "Quick Boot" menu that lets you select a different device to boot from or whatever you want to call it by spamming F8.

Btw, does "s.o." stand for "someone"? I had no idea what you were talking about.