PDA

View Full Version : Denied All Write Access

iced
09-10-2007, 04:57 AM
I had a xp computer that crashed but files were accessible. anyways, I downloaded knoppix for the first time, booted the computer from the knoppix cd. logged in the k desktop. plugged in the usb flash drive which was detected perfectly. Opened the main hadd and could see all the files. attempted to copy one fie to the flash drive and was denied. I went to the flash drive and attempted to create a new fold but was denied. went back to the local drive and could not create a fold nor file. The only permissions I'm allowed with this boot cd is to list files and folders, thats it. Please, what do I do? I eventually had to remove the computers hard drive and slave it in with another computer and had no probelm moving files. is Knoppiz unable to manage NTFS files? if so, why can it list them?

SiKing
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi,
You have to realize, that by design KNOPPIX is non-intrusive. This means that by default it sets up your system so that you cannot mess anything up, unless you specifically ask for it.
All your disks, USB or internal, are mounted as read-only. After mounting the drive (you will see a little green triangle in the right hand corner of the icon), you can right-click on the icon and select change read/write permissions to make it writeable.
Note that NTFS write mode is still considered by many to be experimental, although I personally have never had any problems with it. NTFS read mode has been stable for many years now.
HTH, SiKing.