PDA

View Full Version : Red hat linux vs KNOPPIX

inguaravi
09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
HI......

I want to know the difference btn Red Hat Linux and Knoppix.

I am new to linux and want to learn linux.

I have CBT Nuggets linux + CD's.. In this they teach linux in Red hat linux environment. Can i use Knoppix to execute the commands which were shown on red hat linux?

Where my files will be stored in knoppix? Suppose i have written some C programmes and stored in knoppix and removed knoppix CD. Can i again see the files when i insert the CD again?

Plz reply.

ndb
09-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't know much about Red Hat, but the basic command-line stuff should be the same. The default desktop for RH is GNOME, whereas for knoppix it's KDE. There are a number of desktops (the linux equivalent of Windows, the GUI you deal with) available for linux and knoppix. Also, knoppix is a live CD linux, whereas I do not believe RH is. There is a site, www.distrowatch.com, which gives a good summary of all the available distros out there.

You didn't mention if you have the DVD or the CD version of knoppix, or which version at all. Also, is your hard drive a FAT or NTFS partition. If it's FAT, you can create a persistent home directory there which can store stuff you write or install. If not, you would need a USB drive to create a persistent home directory. Type the following (K is the K icon, lowere-left on desktop)

K -> knoppix -> configure -> save persistent image

I would do that first, and be comfortable working with it, before storing/writing stuff.

You will also need to use cheat codes, when booting knoppix,
i.e. knoppix home=scan

You have a fair learning curve ahead of you.