PDA

View Full Version : funny networking prob

Dleuk
09-12-2007, 05:59 AM
first of all...besides the problemlinuxbox i have several windows boxes which all can access internet and each other via my router. so there should be everything allright.

Now on to my problem^^

I installed knoppix 5.1.1 on one of my boxes harddisks, did a dist upgrade(over internet) and shutdown the box yesterday. Today i started the box and it took on some very strange behavior.
from the linuxbox i cannot initiate any connection to the outside network or internet...even ping says i should use -b option if i want to broadcast, but from network control or ifconfig everything looks like it should be, as far as i know. the only exception is, that i can use samba to connect to my windowsboxes.
From these windowsboxes i also can ping the linuxbox, use http to connect to apache, connect to smb, connect using ftp.

I hope someone has a hint for me, where to look for a solution of this.

thx
Dirk

Harry Kuhman
09-12-2007, 06:13 AM
I hope someone has a hint for me, where to look for a solution of this.
Yup, I have a hint for you. This problem has been going on as long as this website has existed. It's a very well known problem. I'll move your post to the forum where you can find lots of discussion about it. Here's the part of your post that explains what you did wromg:

I installed knoppix 5.1.1 on one of my boxes harddisks,

OErjan
09-12-2007, 10:41 AM
and uppgraded it

did a dist upgrade(over internet) and shutdown the box
Uppgrading is also well known to cause trouble.
Knoppix is a patchwork made to work from CD/DVD not to be installed, and upgrading it is not a good idea, as it has parts from all branches of Debians developent tree (stable, testing...) there is a delicate balance to it, upgrading removes that balance, and you must then help it regain it yourself, possibly with asistance...

Dleuk
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
thx alot dudes...

reinstalled, and everything seems to work again...dist upgrade seems to have caused the problem.

problem solved, can be closed. :lol:

thx

Dirk