PDA

View Full Version : Creative Labs PCI128 sound card not working on K DVD 5.1

jacksonon
09-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Hi,

On Knoppix CD 3.81 the Creative Labs PCI128 (detected as Creative Labs Ectiva EV1938) works flawlessly. However on the DVD 5.1 version I recently downloaded sound does not work. When I go to sound configuraton it also says that soundcore.o can't be found.

I did a search on the forums for Ectiva and EV1938 but couldn't find anything relevant.

Anyone offer any hints?

Thanks

OErjan
09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
hmm, i have a pci128 and that works well with my knoppix5.1, hmm, hae you checked the disk? it might be a marginal burn that has damaged modulefile.

jaeran
09-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Do you have onboard sound as well? I recently had this problem in relation to another problem explored in a different thread. If you do have onboard sound, try going to your BIOS settings and disabling it completely. I can't tell you where exactly the setting is, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it; the setting should be located in plain sight somewhere.

jacksonon
09-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. The DVD has been burnt properly (as tested with md5sum and dd) and the onboard sound has been disabled.

The problem is still unsolved.

To those with a working soundcard using the Knoppix DVD copy please run sndconfig and see if it comes up the same soundcore.o missing error. To do that click on the penguin icon (bottom left corner next to the K icon) | Configure | Sound Card Configuration and tell me if you come up with the same error message.

Thanks

jaeran
09-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I had that same error and disabling onboard sound fixed it for whatever reason. Its behavior was actually a bit more weird than I care to go into here, but it worked. Actually, as I type this right now in Knoppix, my sound is working, but if I go to "sound card configuration" it still complains of a missing soundcore.o. Try opening a terminal and typing "alsaconf", then following the instructions. Be sure to select the appropriate sound card, of course.

jacksonon
09-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Alsaconf doesn't change anything. Knoppix does detect the modem properly according to the startup screen but no sound comes out.