PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM R/W and Knoppix

Joseph Schiller
05-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade an AMD 266 MHz, S7AX main board, Award 1.0a BIOS, 128 Mb RAM, with a 6 Gigabite EIDE HDD based system with a CD-ROM burner so that Linux is happy as can be. This question may sound silly, but I'm not sure what kind of burner will work best on it. Socket 7 will accept any AMD chip and requirements section on the box suggest a minimum 450 MHz, what about the drivers? All the burners that I've seen on the market from Hi-VAL $50 up to $180 Plextor are W--doze based, 90% of the utilities feature Nero. Does Knoppix really care what kind of burner is hooked-up to it? I plan to burn music, backups, photos, and that sort of thing.

Regards,
Joseph Schiller

Stephen
05-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Almost any burner will work as long as it is standard IDE interface or SCSI. As far as drivers go you may have to edit the lilo.conf to enable ide-scsi emulation for the burner to work (I have not had to do this with recent versions). So the short answer is just buy a cheap fast IDE burner and it will work.

rickenbacherus
05-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Does Knoppix really care what kind of burner is hooked-up to it?

Regards,
Joseph Schiller[/quote]

You have just discovered one of the joys of Linux. Since you'll be using SCSI emulation then you don't need a driver as Stephen has said- it will just work. Surely there must be some drive that wouldn't work somewhere but it would likely be quite old. I just bought a new cd/rw. Power down, install and boot- that's it. There is no, Controlpanel>Add/remove hardware>Have disk>windows did not find a suitible driver for this device>Windows found a driver for this device (yeah windows found the driver. Couldn't have been because I put it right in front of you, you lame excuse for an OS).

You gotta love Linux.