PDA

View Full Version : Can't find KNOPPIX File System

gurustered
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi all, I am new to Knoppix. I have tried this CD before on another system and it worked. But now on this new system (i am trying to resize Windows partition) I get the following messages

I am using the KNOPPIX CD v 5.1 and during boot up it is
Scanning for USB/Firewire devices... Done.

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem. sorry
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press restart button to quit

I am using a USB Keyboard (only option available) for this system.

what can I do to boot up into KNOPPIX?

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
....I have tried this CD before on another system and it worked. But......
Your problem is one very often associated with a marginal high speed burn. The first thing that I would advise based on this limited information would be go back and try a CD that was burnt at low speed.

gurustered
09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I have burned the CD (different downloads) as low as 12x, and I still am getting the same error.

dendirk28
09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm having the same problem, with a cd burnt at 4x! On another computer the cd worked really fine!

When I tried another distribution, an other error message was shown at startup: failed to mount cd-rom...

Is this possibly just a problem with my dvd-drive? Can anyone please help me?

maxIT
10-01-2007, 06:40 PM
IMHO could be a 'cd-drive_related_issue' but even a 'cpu_related_issue'.
With regard a this last assumption consider that I work with 10 pcs with the same hardware. It was happened that 2 of this pcs have had a motherboard crash after 3 years from buyng. So I've replaced the old motherboard with a brand new one, most recent and more powerful with a more powerful cpu, while the cd-drive have remained the same. So I've discovered that some linux-live-cds (not knoppix) and even install-cd (slackware) doesn't load on old pcs with old motherboard (with errors messages in loading stage and even not recognized as boot device at all) but load painlessly on new motherboards with the same old cd-drives!!

dendirk28
10-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, actually my computer is brandnew!

I've also tried the 'nodma' option and all that (there are a lot of similar discussion out there!) but that doesn't work for me...