PDA

View Full Version : knoppix dvd

nethackpro
09-16-2007, 05:18 AM
I tried to boot from my Knoppix 5.1 that i just burned but it freezes up while loading, same thing happened when i tried an old knoppix cd that ive used many times on my other comp. what could be the problem?

Harry Kuhman
09-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Lots of things could be wrong. Two simple guesses are:

1. You need some particular cheat code for this hardware. Don't know enough about your system to suggest which code or codes. See the cheat codes section of the wiki for details.

2. You burnt your discs at high speed and are seeing the same problems of working on some computers and not on others that many others see. Burn at low speed, 4 x recommend but no faster than 8x, or better yet use a low speed burn CDC-RW or DVD-RW disc.

Of the 2, my quess is #2, but that's just a guess.

nethackpro
09-16-2007, 05:48 AM
they werent burned at high speed, what kind of cheatcode would i use for somethin like this?

Harry Kuhman
09-16-2007, 06:12 AM
As I said, you didn't give any info on the system that you are trying to boot on, so I am hard pressed to make a good guess, You might benefit from nodma on an older system. You might need apic=off. I had one system that on some older versions of Knoppix needed noscsi. Or it might be that your screen is blank because your monitor is being run beyond the range that it supports and you need to force a resolution and, usually more importantly, refresh rates within the monitor's range. Some very new video cards don't have good drivers yet and the vesa code helps them. Knowing which works, if any, will take some testing on your part.