PDA

View Full Version : Everything goes to hell after ppoe install... plz help me

Jackson5
05-29-2003, 04:47 PM
ok, ill start off by saying im a linux newbie.. so go easy on me.

i installed knoppix and everything works fine.. that is until i use the wizard to configure my ppoe DSL. After doing so, nothing works...i can only log in as root. Even under root, mozilla crashes, control panel crashes, things wont close, things sometimes wont even open. the only program which seems to work fine is xchat (yes i know i shoulndt be on irc as root but i had no choice)

when trying to login as knoppix user, the blue init box knoppix 3.2 comes up (with the icons and such)and it stays at "Initalizing system services" and then it just sits at the debian splash page forever.

However, all these problems go away when i disconnect the cable from my nic, things seem to work as they should.

I would be thankful to any insight.

-Jackson

garyng
05-29-2003, 05:03 PM
I suspect you see the same nasty bug of KDE that takes me 3 days, 10+ times installation to find out.

Check the following file :

/etc/network/interfaces

and see if you find these two lines.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

add them and see if it solve your login problem.

Jackson5
05-29-2003, 05:41 PM
my interfaces file looks like this:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
#the loopback inteface
#automatically added when upgrading

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
adress
mask
net
broadcast

Jackson5
05-29-2003, 05:44 PM
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
#the loopback inteface
#automatically added when upgrading

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
adress
mask
net
broadcast

all the stuff under static is from my memory, i was told it wasnt that important anyways.

my file has the 2 lines you said to add, so this cannot be my problem, thx for trying tho.

-Jackson

garyng
05-29-2003, 05:47 PM
you may also add the following lines to /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 yourhostname

After changing /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hosts, I no longer see
the stalling at the initializing system services(the second icon). Well, it
is not a stall but it takes a long while then it comes up with a blank
desktop with no icon, no task bar. And like you said, once I remove the
network card(mine is PCMCIA), everything works again.

Jackson5
05-29-2003, 10:13 PM
my problem was solved by simply editing out everything under

auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback

as i dont not have a static ip.

i dont know why it works now, as i said im a linux newbie...if its not broken i wont fix it ...anymore...

thx for ur help guys.

:D:D:D:D

garyng
05-30-2003, 05:02 AM
As I said, this IMO is a very nasty bug of KDE. It relies on the socket interface when it starts the desktop but if the underlying network is not as 'clean' as their testing environment, they are stucked. Most probably, the do some hostname query to find out the current machine ip info etc. but for case like yours(PPPOE) where your machine is not in the DNS land, the program stuck. They can handle the case when there is no network but not half baked ones.

My case is similar in that I have a private network(wireless) again without DNS so probing my machine using the hostname info just failed.

Unfortunately, the KDE team has some big ego. I have reported 3 bugs but all three got rejected because they cannot repeat that in their environment :wink: