PDA

View Full Version : New Knoppix User - system setup issues / problems.

nathanderweise
05-29-2003, 08:29 PM
For anybody in the Knoppix world, I'm new to Knoppix, but an old amateur linux/unix enthusiast. Just brought myself up to date on RH9, Slack9, Mandrake9, and Debian v3.0r1. The first 3 are slow installs on old machines, the last Debian, is great, except when it comes to PCMCIA support, this is the reason I checked www.debian.hu and found Knoppix.

The following qwerks/issues I discovered with Knoppix after buring the iso image KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-16-EN.iso and booting up:

1. either run from cdrom or have 2.2GB avail on harddrive (no in between!)
2. sound card support starts up ok with initial cool knoppix back ground screen, some womens voice saying ...welcome to ... but then if a file (mp3) is played, no sound.
3. cd burner was recognized but I couldn't burn to it!
4. reading/writing to hda1 or hda5 or mounting. default user knoppix, can root be set as default so this can be used?
5. modem works, don't know how to configure as secureUSERID, with scripts and crap...so much tinkerin' and just sits there dialed in.
6. GAIM doesn't recognize the proxy (all the browsers did)
7. telnet to an AS400 box was great, but couldn't get the ESC key to work, or F13 to F24.

HELP...gonna reconvert back WinOS
N.

rickenbacherus
05-30-2003, 09:53 PM
1. either run from cdrom or have 2.2GB avail on harddrive (no in between!)

There are a multitude of customized versions of Knoppix that take up much less hdd real-estate.

2. sound card support starts up ok with initial cool knoppix back ground screen, some womens voice saying ...welcome to ... but then if a file (mp3) is played, no sound.

What kind of sound card? What kind of box? What does lspci -v tell you?

3. cd burner was recognized but I couldn't burn to it!

What were you trying to burn with? CLI?

4. reading/writing to hda1 or hda5 or mounting. default user knoppix, can root be set as default so this can be used?

Not sure I follow you- you can read and write to hdd with Knoppix booted from cd.

5. modem works, don't know how to configure as secureUSERID, with scripts and crap...so much tinkerin' and just sits there dialed in.

Don't know much about modems - WHEW!

6. GAIM doesn't recognize the proxy (all the browsers did)

?????Don't use IM either!!

HELP...gonna reconvert back WinOS
N.

Is that a threat? ;)