PDA

View Full Version : disk check utility?

desolator144
09-30-2007, 07:05 AM
I only have basic red hat training and haven't ever used Linux at home ever :P but I think it's awfully cool I'm just lazy lol. Anyway, is there's a utility in the Knoppix distribution that will scan a disk for corrupted files and fix it? The catch is, it's an NTFS drive (or maybe FAT32, I didn't actually check but probably NTFS) The drive is soooo completely thrashed that it blue screens the computer every time it tries to boot (windows XP Pro) and I took it out and used an enclosure on my XP PC and it can't read a single file off it. But tada, Linux can so I got most of the data off it by going back and forth with my USB drive. Anyway I wanna make it boot now and I have a feeling it will if the corruption can be fixed so that brings me back to my question: is there a utility that can do that that comes with Knoppix?

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2007, 08:24 AM
The answer to your question is no.

desolator144
09-30-2007, 04:39 PM
:( someone should make one lol

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Feel free to do so.

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
You say that you recovered the data with Linux even though Windows couldn't read the drive. I suggest that the proper next step isn't to try to repair the NTFS partition at all, but rather to remove it entirely and then repartition the drive. Linux can indeed remove the NTFS partition, but it can't create a new one. Windows can delete the bad NTFS partition and also create a new one, so Linux really isn't needed past the data recovery at all (at least if you want to reinstall Windows with another NTFS partition and go through this again later).

desolator144
09-30-2007, 05:21 PM
well here's the catch. It's gotta get to booting as is because I don't have an XP Pro reinstall CD (gotta be specific to this comp cuz it's an HP one btw) to do a repair install or fresh install. I shouldn't say I don't have it, it's more like the guy who I'm fixing it for doesn't have it and he's being a dick about looking for it. Anyway yeah, that's what's up :(

rusty
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
it's more like the guy who I'm fixing it for doesn't have it and he's being a dick about looking for it

I would download Ubuntu or CentOS or some other linux distro and install it to his drive and give it back to him. No more bluescreen. TADA!