PDA

View Full Version : wireless cardbus BCM43xx does not work

pegasus
10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I booted my notebook with the latest KNOPPIX CD (5.1.1). My wireless cardbus adapter is Linksys WPC54G V3.

The iwconfig shows that my wireless is at eth0. The lsmod shows that the module bcm43xx are loaded.

However, when I do "iwconfig eth0 essid xxxxx channel n". I got the following error:

Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) : SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not permitted.

Then I think this module is not good. I should unloaded it and use ndiswrapper with Windows driver. When I use "modprobe -r bcm43xx", I got the following error:

FATAL: Error removing bcm43xx (/lib/modules/2.6.19/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko): Operation not permitted

Ok, I am not permitted to do anything.

By the way, I had to use "boot: knoppix nodma" during boot because I also had the famous problem that the booting stop at "Looking for CD in:/dev/hda".

Any suggestion to make my wireless work ? Please kindly avoid re-compiling. I am very new to Linux.

Thank you.

PS: I am posting another problem on Ralink/D-Link wireless USB on the PC.

gebman
10-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Are you running these commands as root? If you arent, then that could produce that problem.

pegasus
10-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I tried it again. It works ok, use ndiswrapper with Windows driver.

I really do not remember whether I did it as a root or not last time. So, I guess it might be as gebman suggested.

Still one strange thing. This time my wireless is mounted as eth1, last time was eth0. Not sure what is the logic of hardware checking.