PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 5.1.1 -- No Monitor Detected?

Eriol-kun
10-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Hello, I'm new here, and good day to all.

I have a question for you knowledgeable folk over here. I'm trying to boot the latest Knoppix (Knoppix v.5.1.1 CD ver.) but I have no clue of why it does not load, since it seems to have loaded everything, then I get a black screen.

The last message I receive is: "Starting the X Window System..." and it stalls right there. (A black screen comes after that. Nothing happens then.) I let it running for about 10-20 minutes, but since I had previously used a Knoppix LiveCD environment, I didn't think this was a good time for loading. (previously ran within 2-3 minutes at least).

I don't think RAM is a big issue: I have 256MB physical ram in. Anyone have a clue of what it is that I'm doing wrong/what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Okay, after a couple of CDs to the wastepile and trials, I tested this on another machine, and it ran smoothly. Which leads me to believe that somehow the monitor isn't being detected/the monitor doesn't receive the input. This is kind of logical-- the monitor and computer I'm trying to boot this from are quite obsolete now (The monitor is an IBM 2248 on an SiS 305 GCard).

I'm quite new to the Linux environment, and I kind of know where I have to go with cheatcodes, but have no idea of what I need to type in. Help would be fully appreciated.

Eriol-kun
10-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Bumping the thread after the edit.

EDIT: Solved. Seems the monitor was trying to run at a resolution it couldn't even support. Using the code knoppix screen=800x600 made it work. Thanks nevertheless.