PDA

View Full Version : dismount hard drive

cypher
10-06-2007, 04:54 PM
i'm trying to install knoppix, but my hard drive partition that has windows on it is "mounted", so when i am trying to delete it, knoppix won't let me.

right now i'm running killdisc to try to clean up all the junk left over from the stuff i did, but i still don't know how to dismount it.

could anyone tell me how to dismount a hard drive partition?

cypher
10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
well, bad news. kill disc deleted all the files but no partitions. i have an a: for floppy and a c: for a hard drive, but not much else.

i think c: got renamed to whatever linux uses (et-3 or something)

and i no longer get a command prompt when i start the computer.

i can use a win98 boot up disk to get a command prompt but it doesn't recognize drive c:, it says it has an unknown extension because it isn't fat-32 or whatever.

anyone know how to manually partition a hard drive?

cypher
10-06-2007, 06:43 PM
update:

i ran fdisk and was able to learn a few things.

i have drive a:, which is a floppy drive, and drive c:, the messed up etw-3 drive. i think it is etw-3 but i'm not sure. its whatever linux told me to make it.

i have tried to format C:/s, but that didn't work

fdisk and format c:/s both tell me that c: is in a 3rd party style format, not a fat32 or fat format, and it can't change it in the way i need.

looks like i just need to redo the whole cotton pickin thing. anyone know how to completely erase the entire hard drive so i can re-partition it?

cypher
10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
ahhhhh....

looks like i took the hard way to dismount a partition.

i'm running killdisk, which completely erases all data, over the entire hard drive. when i'm done, i'll format the hard drive.

then i'll run knoppix.

if knoppix doesn't run i'll run fdisk on drive c:, then i'll try to run knoppix again.

if that doesn't work, i'll try to figure out how to manually create the necessary hard disk swap space and if i can do that, i'll run knoppix a third time.

if that doesn't work, i'll give the labtop to my grandad.

cypher
10-07-2007, 09:25 PM
resolved. killdisk is awesome.