PDA

View Full Version : how to build X11 applications?

greg_johnson
10-07-2007, 06:44 AM
How can I build X11 applications from source code? I have an X11 app I wrote that I'd like to compile and run under Knoppix. I built it on my Fedora Core 6 Dell laptop, and copied it over to another machine running Knoppix. The program terminated immediately with 'floating point exception'.

I copied xclock over, and the same thing happened.

It looks like there are no X11 includes etc. to compile and build X11 applications under Knoppix.

Should I re-master a Knoppix with X11 development tools on it and build my app on the machine that is running Knoppix?

Or is there a way to build applications on my Fedora Core 6 box so that I can transfer them and they will run under Knoppix?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

JohnnyH
10-07-2007, 11:47 AM
You don't tell us which version of Knoppix - this affects what releases your libraries are and which kernel headers you need.

It looks like there are no X11 includes etc. to compile and build X11 applications under Knoppix.... so it looks as if you installed from the CD rather than the DVD. I could send you the
linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
for Knoppix 5.1 and 5.1.1 if you send me your email by Forum private message.

Should I re-master a Knoppix with X11 development tools on it and build my app on the machine that is running Knoppix?That would be better than using a Fedora Core 6 box (I have no idea what generation of libraries that uses, whereas if you are using,say, Knoppix 5.1.1 (?) you are likely to find compatible additional tools that you may need in the Debian 'stable' (Etch) repositories http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/packages ).
... and with a debian-based system you can install the debian checkinstall package which enables you to conveniently manage your custom program as a debian package.

You mention re-mastering Knoppix with the tools on it. If that is just a means towards the end of achieving an installed system (rather than a re-mastered Knoppix being the ultimate objective), then it would be easier to just install and customise pure Debian.

greg_johnson
10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I have Knoppix 5.1.1. I could download the DVD version. That sounds like a great suggestion. If I understand you, that version includes the include files and necessary infrastructure to build X11 applications while running Knoppix.

Greg

JohnnyH
10-08-2007, 09:04 AM
What it provides is certainly necessary; whether that is sufficient to compile your particular program I wouldn't know. No doubt you will watch the console messages during configure and make for any warnings about missing needed resources ;)
BTW the DVD contains the headers package file linux-headers-2.6.19_2.6.19-10.00.Custom_i386.deb as such (as well as it being installed) so you could, if you want, carry that over to an existing 5.1.1 system. But the DVD is more likely to contain additional -dev libraries that you might need; for a CD-derived installation you might have to download them in conjunction with their updated library file(s).