PDA

View Full Version : Set Up

Setup
10-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I down loaded BitTorrent6 and then (I only wanted an English CD)
KNOPPIX_V5.1.0DVD-2006-12-30-DE 4.1 GB
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-DE 696MB
KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN 696 MB

The EN = English???
I dragged the file KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso to WinMid5Sum. The sum is 379e2f9712834c8cef3efa6912f30755
I click "Compare and get a message MD5 Checksums are different...
Does this mean the file is corrupt or have I got the checking process wrong?? I may have missed a step
Thanks
John

ndb
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
EN is English, DE is Deutsch (German).

I use winMd5Sum myself, and it's a pretty simple program; you enter the file name, or browse, and the checksum, copy and paste. Did you go to the knoppix bittorrent tracker?

http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

You click on Get Knoppix above.

Your check sum does match mine for 5.1.1.

I would advise that you check again, that the correct file name was selected for winMd5Sum.

Setup
10-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks

I didn't get this step>>

You have to drag the MD5 file into Notepad, copy and paste the value into the Compare line then push the compare button. :lol:

Setup
10-10-2007, 12:48 AM
I burned a CD set to non bootable. I restarted, holding down delete > I chose the run from CD option > Windows started normally...????

Harry Kuhman
10-10-2007, 01:45 AM
I burned a CD set to non bootable. I restarted, holding down delete > I chose the run from CD option > Windows started normally...????
You don't just burn the ISO file to a CD, you need to burn the ISO file as an image. The downloading FAQ gives more detailed information for various burning programs. If you look at the burnt CD under windows and it only has one big file on it, it was not done correctly. Alternately, be sure that he BIOS is set to boot from CD before hard disk.

Setup
10-10-2007, 05:07 AM
I burnt it using CDBurnerXP Pro . The files on the CD match the downloaded files (ISO). I checked in bios and the boot order starts with CD.
It is set to Non Bootable (as in FAQ).
I'll try again.

Setup
10-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Failed again. This is a Compaq with a partition (D drive that holds the software)... Is that relevant??

Harry Kuhman
10-10-2007, 05:26 AM
Failed again. This is a Compaq with a partition (D drive that holds the software)... Is that relevant??
A D drive with software (even with "recovery" software) isn't an issue. The particular computer may be, but in general Knoppix boots pretty well on HP and Compaq systems. I don't know of any that are problems, but if you gave the model number you might get feedback from someone that can confirm that it works on theirs. Even when Knoppix fails on a system it just about always gets past the boot prompt and then fails in the hardware detection process, so it still seems likely that the CD is burned improperly. I don't have experience with the software you mentioned, so it's hard to guess what my be going wrong, particularly without knowing just what steps that you are taking to burn the ISO. Some quick suggestions:

1: Try booting the disc on another computer to see that it doesn't boot there either.

2: Try burning with some software known to work, even if it's just a "30 day free trial" download of Nero.

3: Tell us exactly what steps that you are taking with your burning software so that perhaps we can spot what is going wrong.

ndb
10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I use DeepBurner. The free version for home use only is fine.

When you said "Failed again" you didn't mention what did appear on your screen. Did you get windows; if not can you describe exactly what did appear?

Setup
10-11-2007, 08:07 AM
The Model is Compaq Presario SR1600AN.

I Push escape on startup. > select a boot device> Hard drive Group
CD Rom Group
Ch2M. TSST Corp CD-R/RW T> Enter...... Boots to Windows...
The same happens on my laptop A Presario B2000.

The CD burned at 40X.. I couldn't see where to select a lower speed.
Doesn't the fact that the Md5 fingerprint matches prove that the file is burned correctly??

ndb
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I burned my CD at 4X, considerably slower. Deepburner has that option; I'm not familiar with CDBurnerXP Pro, but I do know that you can burn ISO images with it. You can only verify the check sum before you burn it to CD.

If you open your CD under windows, do you see two directories, boot and KNOPPIX? If you see only the ISO file, then you didn;t burn the image as ISO, and you'll have to re-burn it.

Setup
10-12-2007, 08:36 AM
I was almost successful that time, but encountered a problem near the end I got this message >>

Error (3) occured while writing data to disc. Packet recording is not configured correctly (1039) Error Sense Data: Sense Key5ASC: 63 ASCQ:1

I accidently booted with the disc in and it started to boot but "Can't find Knoppix file system"

ndb
10-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Packet recording is not configured correctly

I tried a google on this without luck. It could be your burn spped - set it as low as possible. Also, I tried looking up your CD-R specs. TSST is the manufacturer. You should also supply the model number, google it yourself, and read any manual/documentation you have for your CD drive.

Harry Kuhman
10-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Packet recording is not configured correctly
Packet writing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rainier_(packet_writing)) is a hack used by some burning software makers to try to allow you to write a little bit of data at a time to a CDR or CD-RW without starting new sessions for each write (sessions take a fair amount of overhead and would not allow you to write to a CDR 200 times, for example, but packet writing does. There are many issues though. Packet writing techniques between different CD software makers vary, so discs burnt by one technique cannot be read on system with software from another. And the CDR or CDRW mist be formatted first. For CDRW this wastes a lot of space (more than a hundred megs) (for CDR this actually wasts less space at format time but more space each packet session). The disc can only be read on a system with a packet driver installed. Packet drivers were notoriously famous for causing conflicts with other software. And key to this discussion, a disc written in any packet driver based format is not bootable. A simple Google search will tell you a lot more, it found the link above and a lot more .

Back in the days when I had a giant 5 1/4 inch 1 gig hard drive on my system and a CD burner, packet driver based writing made sense in spite of it's issues. I could save out data to a CD on a regular basis simply by doing "drag and drop" operations, the CD could be written to many times, and I might get back 10 to 30 megs of precious disk space at a time. Now that I have hundreds of gigs on a system it makes much less sense to use this type of software. I just save what I want to write until I have enough for a session. Or if using CDRW I can read in the old data on the disc, add to it, erase the CDRW and write it again. And if I do want to go back and read one of the discs that I wrote using a packet driver it might be a real pain, since I don't have that brand of burning software installed any more, and it might not even be willing to install if I can find the old install disc, since such software often checks to see that the drive that it came with is installed on the system, and that drive is long dead (and used an ISA interface that will not fit in any computer that I now use!). The moral of the story is that I strongly discourage packet driver writing, and if you do decide to use it you should know what you are getting into.

I asked a while ago for very specific information about how you were burning the disc, never got it. You are wasting your time and ours if you are trying to boot a packet writing based CD. And you are not going to get very far if you are selective about which of our questions you think that you want to answer and which you want to ignore. Why you ignored my suggestion that you try burning with the free 30 day trial of Nero I don't know. But this will be my last post in this thread unless it is to respond to a clear and detailed list of steps taken to burn the ISO file with Nero, starting with confirming the md5 sum and including which menu options were selected or which buttons were pushed each step of the way. I'm not insisting that you use Nero or saying that Nero is the only software that will make a bootable disk. But this reference to packet writing makes me think that you are so off the track that accepting some guidance is the only way that I can assist you in any reasonable time frame. If you want to keep going about it the way that you are, good luck to you.

Setup
10-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Sorry, I was using a CD/R with only 650mb of storage. I burnt a successful one at 150 kb/s :oops:
Thanks for your help