PDA

View Full Version : MSI CD-RW drive recognition problem

CoolSilver
05-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Hello, :?

After downloading the image of both 5-20 and 4-15 I have noticed this error with my cd burner. While booting it searches to mount the cd as normal. It fails to find the drive. It says that I don't have the rest of knoppix to boot up and gives me a limited shell of 6 commands.

:?: Can some one explain this ..... the cd boots fine on my laptop. I have also noticed some drives also hate the cd in general and won't read it at all.

:arrow: The drive is a 48x16x48 drive, model StarSpeed (MS-8348). It is also known as Dragonwriter.

Thanks...

rickenbacherus
05-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Did you boot like this:

testcd

You may have a corrupt disc. The fact that it works in another machine isn't proof of anything except that it works in that particular machine. I presume you did in fact check the md5sum before burining the disc yes?

CoolSilver
05-30-2003, 09:53 PM
I didn't think to check the file before burning... I just did from what I burned from and it checked out ok.

CoolSilver
05-30-2003, 10:00 PM
It's funny 2 different versions did this.

It just doesn't see the cd-rw drive where the disk is at....

I don't think it can be a corrupt disk. I suppose it's possible

rickenbacherus
05-31-2003, 12:02 AM
I didn't think to check the file before burning... I just did from what I burned from and it checked out ok.

I presume that you are telling me that the .iso checksummed OK?
Interestingly enough there weren't alot of results from a search on G4L for this drive????

I have also noticed some drives also hate the cd in general and won't read it at all.

What exactly makes you say that?

Changed your media lately? Using cheap media?

I dunno- can you boot that disc with a differnt cdrom? If so what happens? Is the dragonwriter usable? Does it work with other distros?

Of couse it won't take 5 minutes to boot w/ testcd to eliminate that as a possibility at least right?

Anybody else have a drive that fast? Is it possible to slow the drive speed down from the boot prompt?- Just some wild guesses I suppose. :roll:

CoolSilver
05-31-2003, 11:38 PM
I was curious today and decided to run a testcd again.... It passed twice after removing a smudge from the disk.

Like I said ... It throws fits and doesn't read on other drives at all as it just doesn't mount mine.

rickenbacherus
05-31-2003, 11:56 PM
What about these questions?

Changed your media lately? Using cheap media?

Can you boot that disc with a differnt cdrom in the same machine that has the dragonwriter? If so what happens? Is the dragonwriter usable? Does the dragonwriter work with other distros?

I have no other guesses- it seems that you have a very uniqure drive.

CoolSilver
06-01-2003, 04:38 AM
I used two types of media on this drive for knoppix as well as two versions. It boots fine on some drives.. others it won't read it to boot and I don't have another machine with this writer.