PDA

View Full Version : Convert CD into DVD

zachfewtrell
10-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Hello,

I have a large program that I would like to distribute demo versions of on KNOPPIX.

The program is too large to fit on a KNOPPIX CD (between 700 MB and 2GB uncompressed - depending on what I decide to keep).

KNOPPIX DVD is ok, but still requires removing a large number of packages.

I would rather do it like so:

begin with KNOPPIX CD, remove some packages, but not so many as I have to with the KNOPPIX DVD.
install my software.
build ISO image, which is now bigger than 700 MB compressed.
save ISO to a DVD.

will this work?

I'm going to try it anyway, but it's a relatively long process, so if someone can tell me beforehand, it would save me some time.

thank you for your time.

tr
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
begin with KNOPPIX CD, remove some packages, but not so many as I have to with the KNOPPIX DVD.
install my software.
build ISO image, which is now bigger than 700 MB compressed.
save ISO to a DVD.

will this work?

Of course it works! Why do you think it does not? There is a limit for a single packed KNOPPIX file but I don't exactly know how far it is beyond 2 GB nowadays. I think you can do a DVD with one KNOPPIX file (as in CD), if it is under 4 GB. But you need much memory and free hard disk space.

-tapsa-

zachfewtrell
10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Yes it works, thank you.

I just don't know much about CD & DVD filesystems, I didn't know if I would have to change anything else. So evidently, there's really no difference between the CD & DVD filesystems, except that the media size is bigger and the compressed KNOPPIX files are bigger.

thanks.