PDA

View Full Version : connected to net yet cant surf

tekas007
10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
plz help me i am first time user ,iam using knoppix 4.0 live cd and tried everything from other posts of this forum.my problem is knoppix has this software which shows iam connected to internet,i.e this ppp status software shows iam connected to net .as well as my isp also shows(when i log from my win xp) that i was connected to net during the time iam using knoppix.i connect to net using command pon dsl-provider then that ppp status software shows iam connected to net.ifconfig even shows ip address alloted to my comp then why cant i surf and visit websites?
iam uploading photos showing result of ifconfig and ppp status software's window.
snapshot1.png - 0.32MB (http://www.zshare.net/image/4322530ce7f6cd/)
snapshot2.png - 0.25MB (http://www.zshare.net/image/4322558f56ec68/)

Harry Kuhman
10-19-2007, 09:42 PM
.... i am first time user ,iam using knoppix 4.0 live cd ....
Really? The German version given away at a trade show? Or might you be running 4.02, the version officially released on the Internet?

....and tried everything from other posts of this forum.....
Strong doubt expressed in response to this claim.

....my problem is knoppix has this software which shows iam connected to internet,i.e this ppp status software shows iam connected to net .as well as my isp also shows(when i log from my win xp) that i was connected to net during the time iam using knoppix.i connect to net using command pon dsl-provider then that ppp status software shows iam connected to net.ifconfig even shows ip address alloted to my comp then why cant i surf and visit websites?:cry:...
OK. You don't give a lot of information about your hardware configuration or about what exactly that you are trying to do. But from the first screen shot that you posted, it is cleat that you are on a local NAT network behind a router. In such a network the router should take care of all PPPoE issues for you and you should not be trying to start any pppoe services on your local system. I'm not sure if you are actually running pppoe software or not, but if you are, cut it out. pppoe is only included in Knoppix for those foolish enough to run a DSL connection without a router.

Next, boot knoppix fresh, open a console and type ping 72.232.180.133
I you get a successful ping then you are on the Internet

Next, at the console prompt, type ping knoppix.net
If you get a sucessful ping then DNS is working. I'll leave it to you to determine the negative corollary.

If both of the above work, open a browser and put www.knoppix.net into the address bar. Hit Enter. What happens?

plz help me........
plz help.
It hardly seems necessary to keep saying this. If someone is taking the time to read your post and can help, do you really expect that repeating the plea will improve your chances that they will respond? And, just a hint, all caps in your subject line are another thing that tend to make experienced users skip by a post.

tekas007
10-19-2007, 10:12 PM
i got the cd from my computer magazine 'chip' . i tried to ping the address you stated above but there was no response nothing came as output no error, same for ping knoppix.net.i will try again though.by the way i opened ethereal as you had mentioned in some other posts.it was showing
192.168.1.2 as source
then
192.168.1.1 as destination
and some comment like cant detect network.let me boot again and try what you have suggested.and yes i got connected using pppoe software in knoppix

Harry Kuhman
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
With a local NAT network address in the 192.168 range you should not need any pppoe software. The router does the pppoe for you.

I don't expect that this would be a problem with using 4.0 rather than 4.02 or some newer version of the software, but 4.0 was produced and released under a deadline, it does have bugs that were corrected in later versions (by corrected I mean replaced by newer bugs).

If you can't ping the IP address that I gave in the previous post, can you ping the router itself (likely 192.168.1.1)?

I'm at a loss why the ip address ping that I gave you didn't work. Something is very fundamentally wrong with the network. If it is still failing I would suggest powering down everything including the modem and router, then power up the modem, then the router (if they are two different devices) and finally powering up the computer and booting Knoppix. Can you browse to the router setup page (often at 192.168.1.1 although some routers will use a different IP address)? Does it show the Internet status as connected?

tekas007
10-19-2007, 10:40 PM
i booted freshly didnt ran pppEo software the typed ping 72.232.180.133 and got no response then typed ping knoppix.net got no response again,the ran ethreal software and captured some data packets.then stopped it.and captured the screen.its below-
ping.png - 0.31MB (http://www.zshare.net/image/432464994363bc/)
ethereal after ping.png - 0.25MB (http://www.zshare.net/image/4324682f9352c4/)
ethereal after ping1 and google in konqueror.png - 0.25MB (http://www.zshare.net/image/4324738d1dfbce/)

my modem is huawei mt841.

tekas007
10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
yes i can browse modem/router page which is at 192.168.1.1,another question in my mind is my isp asks for username and password which i provided with pppEo software then how i will connect to net directly without pppEo since it doesnt require password and username,i am sorry if i have asked anything wrong.

Harry Kuhman
10-19-2007, 11:20 PM
yes i can browse modem/router page which is at 192.168.1.1,another question in my mind is my isp asks for username and password which i provided with pppEo software then how i will connect to net directly without pppEo since it doesnt require password and username,i am sorry if i have asked anything wrong.
I don't know your hardware, but all DSL routers that I have seen have some place on the setup screens to specify what the user name and password are. It then saves this information (in flash or cmos memory) and uses it to log into the DSL service. It logs in as the public IP address (59.95.xxx.xxx in your case) and creates a private NAT network on the local side of the router (usually in a 192.168.xxx.xxx range although occasionally 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or the 172.16.xxx to 172.31.xxx.xxx ranges are used). I suggest that you might want to do some google searching on NAT, and read over all of the information that you can find on the router to see if you can't configure it to log in. If for some very strange reason you can't then you might indeed need pppoe, but I would then consider disabling the modem's router and using a stand alone router that will do the pppoe login.

tekas007
10-19-2007, 11:27 PM
i am able to get connected to the net using pppEo software but problem is still i cant download surf or do anything.you havent replied to my ethereal images which i have uploaded.it says destination unreachable network unreachable.

tekas007
10-19-2007, 11:30 PM
going to get sleep now its 4.00 a.m here.will come back later

Harry Kuhman
10-19-2007, 11:51 PM
i am able to get connected to the net using pppEo software but problem is still i cant download surf or do anything.you havent replied to my ethereal images which i have uploaded.it says destination unreachable network unreachable.
I've looked at your ethereal screen shots, but they don't tell me much other than the router is responding that the destinations are unreachable. I don't know much about the pppoe software in Knoppix, since I never use it. I use DSL, but I've tried at least 7 different routers on my network, and every one of them allowed me to enter the user/password into the router and it would log in, so I don't think I have ever done pppoe under Knoppix. I have bypassed my touter and used pppoe under Debian just as a test, and it worked (although the net install wouldn't work that way). But if what I have already posted doesn't lead you to a fix, I think you'll need to wait until a pppoe user responds.

jameshanley39
11-13-2007, 05:48 AM
going to get sleep now its 4.00 a.m here.will come back later

I can`t really help you much. But let`s establish a few things.

Because really, your original question of you can connect to the internet but not surf. Should be answered with a joke, that you need a surfing machine.

When you connect up with windows. Areyou connected automatically, or do you log into your ISP through windows?

It seems that you are not connected to the internet. And your router is one that logs in automatically. Has its independent power source(unlike a PCI DSL or USB DSL one). Accepts a user/pass when you http to it.

Has a few ports on it. Try connecting another machine to it. A windows machine. Does that have internet access?

Funnily enough. I just booted a knoppix CD and found no internet access! (I am not too bothered by that right now though. i can ssh to a linux box. I don`t really want linux for browsing the web). I have LAN access. Another machine running windows connects to the router and accesses the internet. So the router is connected to the internet.

This is the test you should do. See if the router is connected to the internet. Go to something like http://192.168.0.1 and see if it says connected to the internet. disconnect, connect. may have to refresh the screen.
or easier, connect another machine to the router. Or try without the knoppix cd. see if you can browse the web.

dram
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Some routers, typically the common windows/mac-centric soho types, are reputed to play a little loose with the real internet dns specifications.

One way to ensure that the router doesn't mess around with dns is to place your isp's primary and backup dns nameservers in the router's setup page. If you don't know your isp's dns addresses, there are alternates like those seen at the bottom of opendns.com

After you put your addresses into the router itself, just restart networking, or reboot your computer.

I tore my hair out for years manually configuring dhclient.conf, dhcp3.conf, resolv.conf etc, to force the use of a real dns address, and not to the little one inside the router. Placing the addresses inside the router's setup page has left me with a few hairs left, and now ALL the boxes on the lans I setup don't have any dns issues.