PDA

View Full Version : installing progs

TYRRAM
10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I have a really stupid question, i just installed knoppix 5 on my hdd and i cant figure out how to install other progs. I was assuming i could open and install programs with synaptic but that just doesnt seem to work or else im missintg something, it doesnt show those progs in the list nor can i find a way to navigate to those progs to install them. i want to install something called aquila and its a dc++ hub soft for the dc++ network. I also got a firefox update that i cant figure out how to install. I thought i had it set to run but no go. i feel really stupid but im such a noob i really dont have a clue. Well im not clueless i got this far but i need a push pls help. Another thing i would like to know is if i am running knoppix from cd how would i intstall a prog to hdd if the re is no os on the hdd ??

JohnnyH
10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
This http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it Wiki entry explains why you have problems that include (but are not only) installing programs to a Knoppix HD Install, and why it is better to install Debian.
You will find information about Debian and how to use it here ;)
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/

BTW Debian now have their own 'variant' of Firefox called Iceweasel for trademark reasons, however if you want to use Mozilla's Firefox binary for Linux that loads perfectly well in Debian (but not as a Debian Package).
For example, download the firefox-2.0.0.8.tar.gz tarball to your working directory, and with root privilege

tar zfvx firefox-2.0.0.8.tar.gz --directory=/opt (or whatever target directory you want), then create a KDE menu button with path to execute /opt/firefox/firefox

If you already have plugins installed you may need to symbolically link to them from /opt/firefox/plugins

JohnnyH
10-24-2007, 09:33 AM
... Another thing i would like to know is if i am running knoppix from cd how would i intstall a prog to hdd if the re is no os on the hdd ??
Sorry, I don't understand the question. My first reaction is "you don't". Are you perhaps thinking of an 'ephemeral' installation to the live CD -generated ramdisk?