PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive installation

lorosz
10-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi:

I like Knoppix, and especially part of the software selection of KnoSciences. For hard drive installation, the manual of Knowsciences specifies the creation of at least two Linux partitions: one for the system and the other for swap space. Accordingly, I have prepared the traditional multipartition setup for Linux. But, the installation process denies the usage of the prepared partitions; it allows the designation of only one single partition for installation. This makes it impossible to share the swap space and the /home directory with another already installed Linux distribution. Is a solution to this issue?

Also, after a hard drive installation will the system retain the special Knoppix characteristics, capabilities and screen layout?

Thanks lorosz

hal8000
11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
You need some linux experience before you can use linux, it is not a distribution for a complete beginner.

Reading your post, you may understand my answer. Prepare your partitions, a /, a /home and a swap partition.
Install knoppix using knoppix-installer from the command line.
Knoppix will only install into one partition, make sure you chose the / partition, /swap will be found automatically.

After installation, manually edit the firesystem table with your favorite editor.
vi /etc/fstab

For example, I created partitions 17 as / and 18 as /home on my hard drive. To get knoppix to use hda18 as /home
I modified my fstab as below:

# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda17 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/hda18 /home reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
--snip--

Reboot and your partition will be mounted, sorry if thats too complicated but Knoppix is designed as a live distribution,
and this is why the install script only installs on the . partition
HTH